Dell T20 impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorin1

Dabbler
I bought the Dell T20 for $179 from Dell directly, it came with G3220 process and 4GB of ECC memory.

The picture on the web site makes it look to be small but it is kind of big I guess that is where the Mini Tower come in. It is much bigger then what I expected. There is a lot of room in the case and it is to bad that there is no place to add additional fans or more 3.5 drivers.

It has one USB 2.0 internal header that is free to do what you want with. There is nothing else in the inside that you can hook anything else up to, so no extra fan headers or SATA power.

The base model that I got came with power and SATA cables to hook up 4 drives, so you don't need to buy any new cables. The power supply does not have any extra SATA power.

My main complaint is that the SATA power to the top two 3.5 drives is in the wrong direction. It is a short cable with the SATA power connect close to each other but you can't plug them in straight. I have WD Red drivers. You know how the SATA power connect has a "side ways" L connector. Since you can only install the hard drive in one direction you can't install the drive so that it lines up right with the connector without twisting it. I have to pull the power cable the whole way up and hook up the power from top to bottom which means that cable over laps since you have to go up to the top and then back down. So the second SATA power connect was hooked to the top drive and the last one on the chain was hooked to the next drive down. Kind or hard to put it into words. At least after unhooking the power cable to the side hook it was long enough to do this. I was afraid that it would no be able to hook up power to it. The other drive cage at the middle of the case did not have this problem. (Want to add that I spent like 20 mins trying to figure out how to install the drive so I did not have to flip the power cable, I tried all kind of of stuff but the drive can only be installed in one way.

If you were to add an SSD you would have to extent the SATA power connector since there is no other SATA power connects. You would think since it says that it can support four 3.5 drives and two 2.5 that they may give you power connector them but they don't.

The SATA data cables had two straight and two 90 degree connector. I hook the straight ones to the top two drives. The 90 degree connectors went to the middle driver bay since it is facing the side panel. Again, the cable had to be turned a weird direct to hook up, since I did not want to fold the cable over it just does not lay right and was scared that it might interfere with the side panel when I put it back on. I guess it is not a big deal just looks bad. Same with the power cable at the top.

The case is very strong, did not cut myself putting the drivers in.

Drive bays, well you can only put the drives in one way so you can't flip the drives if you want to line up the power or SATA data cable in a certain direction.

I don't hear the fans, the only thing I hear are the drives. Would have been nice if there was a way to add a fan to the front to add more air.

I'm not thrilled with the cases, was hoping for something more compact. But for the price, you could not beat it. Kind of hard to buy a case, power supply, motherboard and CPU for $179.

I think for the same size case if you were to buy something you could get a lot more drives in it with standard parts. I just afraid if the power supply goes that I will have to go to Dell to buy a replacement and it is going to cost and arm and a leg.

Hopefully this will be helpful to someone that is looking at the Dell T20.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
If you were to add an SSD you would have to extent the SATA power connector since there is no other SATA power connects. You would think since it says that it can support four 3.5 drives and two 2.5 that they may give you power connector them but they don't.
The part number for the official SATA power splitter is 3W8RX. I figured this out by freeze-framing this video: https://youtu.be/nkDhNT7PbOw. Unfortunately, Dell has no stock and no ETA (according to live chat support), and the only suppliers I found listing it appear to be price gouging.

As an experiment, I recently added two 500GB laptop drives to the top cage using two StartTech SATA power splitters. I'll post back here if my server catches fire as a result.

The official controller for adding two 2.5" drives is the PEXSAT32, but I'm currently using a Rocket 640L with the two spare ports connected to an eSATA bracket.

My two 2.5" drives are currently in a separate pool as a mirrored vdev, with non-critical data. Assuming no fire, and the 640L doesn't eat that pool, I'm thinking I might install two Seagate ST2000LM003, AKA Samsung Spinpoint M9T and reconfigure my storage as a single vdev 6 x 2TB RAIDZ2 pool.

Zorin1

Dabbler
You might want to think about upping that to at the very least 8 GB (16 GB would be better).

Thanks for the "first impressions" write-up.

I got 32 GB of ECC memory in the machine. I just wanted people to know that it came with 4 GB ECC memory. I would have been better to buy two 8 GB and one 4 GB ECC memory for a total of 24. This would have saved me $34.

Status
Not open for further replies.