Dell R651520 + MD1400

Bruchty

Cadet
Hi everyone,
will FreeNAS work on this? ;) We wanna make nakivo/archive FreeNas server. Main purpose will be snapshot replliaction from another FreeNases and nakivo VM backups with NFS storage.
1. will FreeNas support AMD Ryzen CPU or we need switch to Intel ?
2. MD1400 can distribute disks as JBOD will it work ?

Full Server+Enclosure parameters
PowerEdge R6515:
1 AMD EPYC 7232P 3.10GHz, 8C/16T, 64M Cache (120W) DDR4-3200
1 2.5 Chassis
1 iDRAC,Legacy Password
1 iDRAC Group Manager, Disabled
1 2.5" Chassis with up to 8 Hot Plug Hard Drives
1 LCD Bezel
1 Riser Config 2, 2x16 LP PCIe slot
1 PowerEdge R6515 x8 Drive Shipping Material
1 Dell EMC Luggage Tag (R6515, 4/8HDD Chassis)
1 No Quick Sync
1 Performance Optimized
1 3200MT/s RDIMMs
8 64GB RDIMM, 3200MT/s, Dual Rank
1 iDRAC9,Enterprise x5
2 480GB SSD SATA Read Intensive 6Gbps 512 2.5in Hot-plug AG Drive, 1 DWPD, 876 TBW
1 PERC H330 RAID Controller, Minicard
1 SAS 12Gbps HBA External Controller, LP Adapter
1 Heatsink for CPU less than 180W
1 MOD,DVD,SATA,9.5,HLDS,ESG
1 Dual, Hot Plug, Redundant Power Supply (1+1), 550W
2 C13 to C14, PDU Style, 10 AMP, 6.5 Feet (2m), Power Cord
1 No Trusted Platform Module
1 Channel Shipbox Label (PO Number, Ship Date, Model, Processor Speed, HDD Size, RAM)
1 PowerEdge R6515 CE,CCC,BIS Marking
1 Broadcom 57416 Dual Port 10 GbE BaseT Network LOM Mezz Card
1 ReadyRails Sliding Rails With Cable Management Arm
1 RAID 1
1 Performance BIOS Settings
1 Standard Fan
1 PowerEdge R6515 Motherboard, with 2 x 1Gb Onboard LOM (BCM5720)
1 No Systems Documentation, No OpenManage DVD Kit
Service
1 ProSupport and Next Business Day Onsite Service Initial, 36 Months
PowerVault MD1400:
1 Bezel MD1400, 2U, 12 Drives
12 14TB 7K SAS 12Gbps 512e 3.5in Hot-Plug Hard Drive
1 Enclosure Management Module, dual
1 Power supply, AC 600W Gold, Redundant
2 European Power Cord 220V
Thank You !!

Nick2253

Wizard
FreeNAS should support Ryzen. At least, iXsystems is selling servers based around EPYC 7002 "Rome" CPUs: https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/amd-rome-scalability-is-epyc/ You'll want to make sure that you confirm all the chipset details. Not a lot of people use AMD-based systems here, so you might run into odd compatibility issues depending on your exact configuration.

I believe you can configure the MD1400 in HBA or passthrough mode. But what's more important is the controller in your server. You have a line in the BOM of "1 SAS 12Gbps HBA External Controller, LP Adapter", which looks good to me, but it depends on what that actually is.

Is there a reason you are going with the Dell system as opposed to, say, an equivalent system directly from iX? I'm not affiliated in any way with them other than just being a happy user of FreeNAS, but I suggest that since you're guaranteed to have a supported system when you go that route.

blanchet

Guru
For the same purpose, except that I use Veeam instead of Naviko, I have preferred to purchase a 4U SuperMicro server with pre-installed FreeNAS. It is easier because you have a single system instead of server + a JBOD.

For sure, the best servers come from iXsystems, but they does not offer yet onsite service in Europe, therefore I prefer to buy my SuperMicro servers from Thomas-Krenn in Germany. The server are delivered with pre-installed FreeNAS, so they are ready to use.

Bruchty

Cadet
Yes that supermicro "allinone" looks great, but I choose this option for future expansion, You can add another 8 shelves, lot of future raw storage. Another advance is use server for another solution after few years, because we have plan to move to new location with new infrastructure and topology.
The FreeNAS will see that JBOD disks, like direct connected to server?

blanchet

Guru
If you wish to reuse later the server for another purpose, the 1U DELL server + JBOD may be a good idea, because you can remove the JBOD when you do not need it anymore.
Nevertheless, you should pick an Intel x710 instead of the Broadcom NIC because Intel NICs are supported by far more operating systems.
For example, unlike Intel, other NIC vendors do not provide drivers for their old NICs for recent versions of VMware vSphere.

pragmax

Cadet
Yes that supermicro "allinone" looks great, but I choose this option for future expansion, You can add another 8 shelves, lot of future raw storage. Another advance is use server for another solution after few years, because we have plan to move to new location with new infrastructure and topology.
The FreeNAS will see that JBOD disks, like direct connected to server?

How did it work out for you? I'm looking at a similar set up but with the R7515. 7302p 128GB ram. Quoted
PERC H740P RAID Controller, 8GB NV Cache, Mini card
PERC H840 RAID Adapter for External MD14XX Only, 8GB NV Cache, Low Profile

Much appreciated.