Dell PowerEdge R720XD Branch Server With FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Bruns

Dabbler
I'm consolidating some servers at my small business with about 10 employees: I currently have these environments running today (some virtual, some physical servers):
  • Microsoft Active Directory & Print Server
  • FreePBX Phone
  • Windows server for QuickBooks
  • Freenas with 6x 6TB drives on old Poweredge 310 server RaidZ2- Primarily for file storage, backups, and Plex Video
  • Plex running on a powerful desktop, with SMB to Freenas for transcoding purposes
  • One or two very small environments (pihole, Ubuntu for security, etc)
I'm purchasing a refurb R720XD, with 2x E5-2690 CPUS, 128GB memory, no disk. My plan right now is to run VMware ESXI at the hardware level. Add 2x hardware mirrored 1TB SSD for the filesystems that I need fast random access. I.E. for Microsoft AD and Quickbooks, Pihole, etc. I'd then move the 6 drives from my old 310 to this server, exposing the disks directly to vmware, bypassing any hardware raid on the perc card or virtualization on vmware. Freenas would run within vmware, but have direct access to the disks. I would then likely purchase another 6x 10TB drives for a 2nd zfs pool for expansion.
=========

Are there any major holes or considerations I should be thinking about with this config?

Ender117

Patron
The best practice of virtualizing FreeNAS is passthrough the whole HBA, which means giving FreeNAS VM access to all the disks in R720XD
And perc 7 cards (with one exception of H310, but it got its own problems) cannot bypass hardware raids, the closest is 1 drive raid0.

Ender117

Patron
Thanks, it looks like you have a very similar system.

The server is an upgraded version here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...2640-6-Core-8GB-H310-SPS-2-Trays/183539828819

What else would you recommend I upgrade or swap as I'm ordering?
Well, you first need to find somewhere to put your FreeNAS VM. with the HBA passed-through, it cannot be any of the hard drive bays. You either need a PCIe SSD or zip tie a SATA SSD somewhere inside the chassis.
Obviously you also need a HBA like 9211-8i and a lot more RAMs etc, but at this point I recommend you find another system, maybe supermicro

sokoloff

Dabbler
I'd keep the R720xd (it's what I'm using for my FreeNAS system, though I'm running it on bare metal), get an appropriate HBA card (I'm using re-flashed H200s), the appropriate SAS cables (I bought Dell M246M x 2), and put 8 10 TB drives in RAID-Z2, buy a spare 10 TB drive and burn it in ahead of time, and put 4 SSDs in a 2x2 striped mirror. Get that all running and pour the data from the existing FreeNAS server over the new server at your leisure. Then do whatever you want with the old hardware. Plex is fine in a jail IME, but if you have ESXi, you could equally well boot Plex from an iSCSI volume on the FreeNAS guest like you do the other VMs. Put them all (or mostly) on the 2x2 SSDs.

Complications: you need to boot ESXi from somewhere and that somewhere can't be from the HBA (which is entirely passed through to FreeNAS guest). I'd probably boot ESXi from an internal hard drive [doesn't need to be SSD if it's only running FreeNAS], pass the entire HBA through to FreeNAS, and boot FreeNAS from a VMWare volume. In this setup, if either ESXi or FreeNAS crap the bed, you lose all your machines, so consider whether some of your machines [domain controller, print server, PBX, pihole, and UBNT admin] should be ESX guests with storage on the ESX internal drive so you can reboot FreeNAS as needed without losing services.

Alternatively, you could periodically snapshot your VMs (especially if ESXi "knows" how to checkpoint with FreeNAS) and back those machines up to the physical hard drive every so often. That way, a FreeNAS outage can be alleviated by launching VMs from the physical hard drive, but they spend most of the time running off the 2x2 SSD array over iSCSI.

I would not punt on the 720xd, but I also would not pass through only select drives; pass through the entire HBA. You have some on-board SATA (and an internal onboard USB in addition to the external USBs). I'd use those, or even use an additional RAID card or HBA for ESXi [though you don't have a ton of mounting options inside the case for non-hot-swap drives for ESX]. 128GB is a great start. The 720 motherboard has plenty of RAM slots for later expansion if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.