Dell and NAS

Newuser2020

Cadet
Hello,

Just got Dell Precision 5820 workstation and my first thought is to build NAS for home.

So how it looks:
-Intel Xeon W-2133 (3.6GHz, 140W)
-4x8gb ECC ram (total 8 ram slots)
-4 swappable 3.5" hard drive bays.
-8 sata ports
-Also PCIe

It is my first NAS and I know that it will grow. At the beginning it should safely store all personal information and work as home media device/storage. Here at this moment I don't know it will be just storing media, or will run plex or something else.

I think 4 sata ports I should use for 3.5" HDD and raid for safety, 1 port for system, and other maybe for short term storage files or in near future for data from security cameras.

I dont know which way is the best, so for beginning I have few questions:
1) Is it overkill or not with this workstation?
2) Is it enough ram? I have free 4 slots. Now it is Micron MTA9ASF1G72PZ-2G6D1SG. Can I add another 4 MTA9ASF1G72PZ-2G6J1? Will they be compatible with original? Or just sell this 4x8gb and buy 4x16gb MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-2G6E1?
3) FreeNAS, TrueNAS. Difference? Or maybe just leave existing Win10 Pro?

Inxsible

Guru
I think 4 sata ports I should use for 3.5" HDD and raid for safety,
FreeNAS and Hardware RAID do not go together. Don't do it. You will regret it. Use RAIDZ2. Read up on it. There are lots and lots of threads about it.
1) Is it overkill or not with this workstation?
That depends on your exact usecase which you haven't specified completely. For media storage it IS overkill. But if you add plex or additional jails etc in the future, you might need the processing power based on how many streams you plan on transcoding.

2) Is it enough ram? I have free 4 slots.
32GB is plenty RAM. I started with 16GB 6 years ago and just recently upgraded to 32GB. So don't go out and buy new RAM before you decide if FreeNAS/TrueNAS is for you or not.
3) FreeNAS, TrueNAS. Difference?
FreeNAS -- until 11.3 --- TrueNAS 12.0 and above. FreeNAS to TrueNAS is just a branding change for the community edition. Until 11.3, TrueNAS was the enterprise solution and FreeNAS was community edition. Now they are TrueNAS Enterprise and TrueNAS Core respectively.
Or maybe just leave existing Win10 Pro?
Sure. If you are comfortable with Win10, then there's nothing wrong with simply using that.

rvassar

Guru
The 5820 is a tank. It's one of those PC's built to replace the engineering workstations of days gone by...

Depending on the configuration, it might also have M.2 slots that you can boot from, saving all your SATA ports for storage. Beware of the MegaRAID boards in this generation, they may not do a true IT mode / disk pass thru.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Is it enough ram?

The 32GB you have installed should be plenty. 16GB is a good number for most home use, and you have more than that--unless you're going to be running a bunch of VMs or very demanding software in jails, you're likely good to go. More RAM is always good--ZFS will use it for caching--but you could add that later if you felt a need.

just storing media, or will run plex or something else.

Plex, or another media server like Emby, really is a lot easier to work with than just storing the media. Automatic indexing and metadata retrieval, clients for most devices (AppleTV, Roku, iOS, Android, web), remote access from wherever...

FreeNAS, TrueNAS. Difference?
TrueNAS is the new name for FreeNAS. The current release sounds pretty good, though there are a few bugs there.

FreeNAS and Hardware RAID do not go together.
OP didn't say anything about hardware RAID, though this is always a good warning.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

jgreco

Resident Grinch
How do I know if ACHI is the same thing as IT Mode/ Passthrough?

It isn't. IT mode is something a HBA has. AHCI is something SATA ports may have. In general, SATA AHCI ports will work with FreeNAS/TrueNAS especially if they are provided by an Intel chipset, but others often work too.

Clawhammer

Dabbler
Sry to bump this up. We also planning to get one of these Dell Precision 5820 workstations for truenas. The configuration will be 4x 8TB HDDs in the swappable hdd trays in the front and a 256gb m2 ssd on the mobo for the os. I also configured: "Integrated Intel AHCI SATA chipset controller (8x 6.0Gb/s), SW RAID 0,1,5,10" with no RAID (I guess it will be in AHCI Mode like mentioned here).

Is there anything else i need to be aware of? Thanks for your help!

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is there anything else i need to be aware of?
planning to get
... if it's not too late, maybe you would want to consider that this type of machine is far from the most efficient ways (in cost, power and space) to get a TrueNAS server (particularly if bought brand new). Starting at $1'700, you can get a lot more value for your money elsewhere which would leave out things not needed (depending on your use-case) like a high-end Graphics card or a Windows license and could provide better cooling for the disks and potentially more bays for additional disks.

Look in the resources section at the Hardware recommendations guide and consider either used server gear or looking at a supermicro board in a supermicro or third party case to give you a lot more flexibility than 4 disk bays.

Clawhammer

Dabbler
Hi, thanks for your advice. Since this machine is for work i sadly cannot go the DIY NAS/Used market route :-(

sretalla