DEGRADED on Desktop: What to do?

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
First, thank you in advance for helping me.
Second, let me just say that I'm a FreeNAS novice and have no idea how to proceed and address my problem. I've searched the forums for "Degraded," but most threads deal with status reports and things that are completely unfamiliar. I have no idea what most of them do, how to generate them, or if they even address my specific issue.

That said, I have a relatively new DIY FreeNAS. I say relatively new because I built the system in early 2017, but because I had some issues configuring FreeNAS and other things happened in my life, the system has been turned off for all but 2-3 months since then. Finally, last weekend I decided to prioritize finishing the job and getting the system up and running, and on Saturday (10/19) turned it on for the first time in a long time.

The Dashboard had a big yellow "Degraded" label over one of the graphs on the desktop. The label looks like a sticky note. It only says, "7.01 TB available" and under this, "Volume1 ZFS Pool." Below this there's a link, "Reports." Clicking on it just shows a graph entitled, "disk-ada0 (disk_time)." Nothing on the graph seems unusual.

Doing some more blind experimentation, I saw nothing strange in the Reporting until I chose DEVICES > Select All. Now I see the graph for "disk-ada1 (disk time)" is blank, but the graphs for the other disks all seem reasonable (i.e., they have non-zero values of Bytes/s over time).

Also, I received two alerts:
Pool Volume1 state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
Sun, 20 Oct 2019 20:37:41 GMT
and
New feature flags are available for volume Volume1. Refer to the "Upgrading a ZFS Pool" subsection in the User Guide "Installing and Upgrading" chapter and "Upgrading" section for more instructions.
Wed, 08 Aug 2018 19:25:02 GMT

Since the system has been turned off, the second alert just passed me by.

What do you suggest I do to track down the problem(s) and fix it (them)?

hervon

Patron
Forum rules : https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/forum-rules.45124/
It's important to remember that hardware information is extremely important when diagnosing problems so please make sure to include this information if you need help troubleshooting a problem. This includes:
  • Motherboard make and model
  • CPU make and model
  • RAM quantity
  • Hard drives, quantity, model numbers, and RAID configuration, including boot drives
  • Hard disk controllers
  • Network cards

Please search again in the forums. Your issue is exactly like the usual 'degraded' status posted numerous times. Hope you fix your issue.

Monkey_Demon

Explorer
Sorry about that. Here's the information:
  • MB: Supermicro (SMC) MBD-X11SSH-F-O
  • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V5 Quad Core
  • RAM: CRUCIAL ct2k8g4wfd8132 -- 2x8 = 16GB ECC
  • Hard drives: 4 x WD Red 4TB (WD40EFRX)
    • Boot drive: HP EX900 120 GB M.2 PCI Express 3.0 NVMe 1.3 SSD
    • Raid configuration: One volume ("Volume 1") consisting of 4 x 4 TB drives w/ mirror-0
  • Hard Disk Controller: Intel C236 controller (on MB)
  • Network Controllers: Dual LAN with Intel Ethernet Controller I210-AT
I did look at quite a few forums that mention the "degraded" status. But none of them begin with a Dashboard message and very little other information. Here are some examples:
  • DeBaba wrote: Hi i have a little problem, one hard drive of my raid is degraded. ... -- this one starts already knowing a drive is bad.
  • guyjones wrote: After installing the Plex plugin, my freenas got stuck. After having rebooted, and finally managed to install Plex, I realize that my Volume is "DEGRADED" Despite everything I access my data, but I would like to return a normal status. -- Gives the error message from other than the Dashboard, and the response gives a link to a discussion of how to replace a bad drive, but never to how to know if the drive is bad in the first place.
  • Ico747 wrote: "After power cut I have Critical message: CRITICAL: The volume volume_A (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. What I shall I do to repair?" -- The thread never ended with a solution.
  • bravo444 wrote: After power cut I have Critical message: CRITICAL: The volume volume_A (ZFS) state is DEGRADED: One or more devices could not be opened. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. What I shall I do to repair? -- Thread does not end with a solution.
  • randrevich wrote: about a similar problem, but the thread is inconclusive.
  • Etc., etc., etc.

sretalla