dd 64bit to hard drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyi

Dabbler
Hi.

this weekend I successfully did a dd of freenas to a spare harddrive for my proliant. Its been going well until I found that there were only 4 plugins available none of which were plex, the primary purpose of the nas.

I soon realised I had installed the 32bit version and apparently plex needs the 64 bit.

Correct me if I am wrong but my assumption is the file systems are created on the raid so it should just be a case of wiping the original disk and putting 64 bit on.

But for the life of me in OSX mavericks, dd of this 64bit version to the very same wiped drive does not work.

When put in the proliant it soon just comes up with 'this is a NAS files system and cannot boot' indicating it has not seen the boot drive at all and gone straight to the raid.

So any ideas why DD works great for the 32bit but not for the 64bit and is there anything I can do?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So any ideas why DD works great for the 32bit but not for the 64bit and is there anything I can do?

My instinct(and experience here) tells me you either aren't installing the 64-bit the same way you did the 32-bit(aka user error) or the server isn't compatible with 64-bit FreeNAS.

garyi

Dabbler
OK is there a way to determine if its compatible its a proliant n54l?

Luckily I am not in too deep, I'll return to OMV if its not compatible.

Cheers

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yes.. check out your hardware and see if it's compatible with 64-bit FreeBSD.

gpsguy

Yes, FreeNAS is compatible with your N54L. We have a number of users on the forum that use them.

As I said in your other thread, if you have a USB CD/DVD, hook it up to your server and install it using the FreeNAS ISO (burned to CD).

Frankly, unless you've installed a hacked BIOS on it, you won't be able to use more than 4 drives in it. That being said, I'd recommend using a 4Gb flash drive. I know you didn't want to use one - just do it and keep copies of your FreeNAS configuration file. The flash drive doesn't have to stick out of your server - there's a USB port on the motherboard. Just inside the front door on the left hand side.

How much RAM do you have. For ZFS on FreeNAS, you'll need a mininum of 8Gb RAM. If you haven't upgraded past the original 2Gb, buy 8Gb ECC sticks of RAM. I'm running 16Gb ECC RAM in my N54L.

OK is there a way to determine if its compatible its a proliant n54l?

gpsguy

You'll also want to check your BIOS settings. See this thread, for the settings I'm using in my N40L.

Status
Not open for further replies.