Datasets with quota and replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

r3d007

Cadet
Hi there,

I have got several datasets. Each dataset has a quota (some 50Gb, some 100Gb) and I configured a replication task for each dataset.
When doing in Windows Explorer -> mark all files -> right click -> properties on share which represents a dataset I can see how much Gb the files are using.
In one dataset (for example) I can see that from 100Gb 19,5Gb are used. But when looking in webui under storage it tells me that 99,4Gb are used.
So my question is, are the snapshots saved in the dataset and it shares the quota? If so, is there a way to disable that and let the snapshots be saved somewhere else?

Thanks
r3d007

D

dlavigne

In one dataset (for example) I can see that from 100Gb 19,5Gb are used. But when looking in webui under storage it tells me that 99,4Gb are used.

Used or allocated? A screenshot of that storage tab would be useful.

r3d007

Cadet
Hello!

I don't know if it is allocated or used.
Here is a screenshot of the dataset I described in my first post.

freenas_space.PNG

r3d007

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

The amount of data shown in the "Used" column in the FreeNAS GUI in Storage -> Volumes -> View Volumes includes the amount of data used by snapshots. See also the "Native Properties" section in the zfs manpage, especially the used, usedby* and following subsections.

A useful shell command is
zfs list -r -o space <name_of_dataset>
which shows some more information than the "Used" column in the FreeNAS GUI.

So my question is, are the snapshots saved in the dataset and it shares the quota? If so, is there a way to disable that and let the snapshots be saved somewhere else?

A dataset and its snapshots are inseparable, see for example the ZFS Primer in the FreeNAS manual as well as the Snapshots subsection of the zfs manpage mentioned above. Maybe setting the "Quota for this dataset" property instead of the "Quota for this dataset and all children" property for a specific dataset is an option for you.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#create-dataset

In terms of ZFS properties: The quota ZFS property includes descendents and snapshots while the refquota ZFS property excludes them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.