Dataset Share Type set to Generic instead of SMB

JuanC

Cadet
As the title states I accidentally set the share type to generic instead of SMB a few weeks ago. I rushed the initial setup of the NAS because i was pressed for time that day and I just realized what I did two days ago. Do I need to recreate the dataset using SMB or am I ok with leaving things as they are? This specific NAS is being used for a client who migrated last week from an old Windows 2k8 box. Its an office of about 8 people where 2 of them are always accessing the NAS. The other folks are hit or miss.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
All SMB share type does, according to the documentation, is:

Choosing SMB sets the ACL Mode to Restricted and Case Sensitivity to Insensitive. This field is only available when creating a new dataset.​
You can do the same thing from the command line. First, stop sharing in Sharing->Windows Shares for this dataset. Then to change the share type, run the following from shell as root:

Code:
zfs set aclmode=restricted <dataset>
zfs set casesensitivity=mixed <dataset>

where <dataset> is the ZFS path to your dataset, starting from the root of the pool. This is the same as the mounted path, with the initial /mnt/ stripped out.

Then restart sharing for this dataset.

SamD

Cadet
None. Possibly reduced performance in some bulk operations involving files.
So, why choose one over other? Actually I couldn't find a real reason to pick one.
How should I decide? Or should I select SMB if I can't decide?
Media server, backup etc.. make any difference?
According to your reply, the choice doesn't change anything except case sensitivity. Because we can change ACL Mode even with generic option.

What does make the case sensitivity important?

Thank you

eewiz

Explorer
I know of one difference from experience.
Urbackup will complain that it is running on a case sensitive system, yet it is forced to store it's stuff on a case insensitive dataset if, the dataset that is mapped to Urbackup's jail is "SMB". It has to be set to "Generic".
If you want to share datasets to windows people, select "SMB".
If you want to map datasets into jails select "Generic".
I've learned to not mix the two.

In general, case sensitivity is only important to the program your running on truenas.
The Linux/Unix version of Urbackup expects a case sensitive storage.
The windows version of Urbackup expects a case insensitive storage.
With suitable warnings if one tries to mix things up.

You can "SMB" share a "Generic" dataset to map in windows but it will be case sensitive which will cause confusion in the windows world.

All for now

Boii5

Cadet
All of my shares used for back-ups are working fine on Windows 11/10/7 PCs. One share used for storage was not accessible by the sole Windows 7 PC. I created a new storage share set to SMB instead of Generic and moved the files over from the old storage share. The Win7 PC was able to access the new storage. Since the shares for back-ups are still accessible, I'm not going to recreate these as well immediately.