Data transfers drop after transferring approx 2gb

twitcher

Dabbler
Hi All I am extremely new to truenas so be kind on me. I initially install core but found I couldn't achieve my goal so change to scale but seem to be having issues. I am on a 1gb network and when a transfer is started i get approx 40MB's but after say 2gb it drops to 5-12mb's. I didnt have this problem on truenas core and would get 40-50mb's all day. Just confused how on Core had no issue but on Scale i do.

I am using an
HP proliant ML310e Gen8
E3-1220
16GB Ram
4x4TB Sata drives

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Would be interesting to know how are you transferring. Is this SMB? Did you migrate the config? Do you have auxiliary parameters?

twitcher

Dabbler
Hi @twitcher

Sorry to hear you're having challenges. I assume you're running SCALE 23.10.2 which is the latest stable version?

What make and model are your 4TB SATA drives?
I am using 2 x WD Nasware 3.0 drives, 1 x WD purple, 1 x Toshiba Surveillance drive. I just wanted to get it up and running so using a mixture. When I tried Core it transferred at a pretty constant 40MB's all I did was change the OS and now only get 40 for like 2gb then just drops.

twitcher

Dabbler
Would be interesting to know how are you transferring. Is this SMB? Did you migrate the config? Do you have auxiliary parameters?
Sorry missed that off the original post. Its SMB share copying from a windows laptop to the server. I have tried wired and wireless with the same results. I also tried iperf and got and pretty consistent 35-40 MB's. No auxiliary parameters just the defaults

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
This is likely due to the differences in ARC handling between Core and Scale. You should try upgrading to the Dragonfish RC, which makes the Scale ARC handling the same as Core's.

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
ARC is unlikely to make a difference since this is for writes.

Its hard to pinpoint the cause without any data like CPU profiling, % CPU busy, Disk I/o busy/depth etc.

We have not seen this in the wild so it must be related to your hardware. Are you running 23.10? Dragonfish RC.1 is out today so it would be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

twitcher

Dabbler

Its hard to pinpoint the cause without any data like CPU profiling, % CPU busy, Disk I/o busy/depth etc.

We have not seen this in the wild so it must be related to your hardware. Are you running 23.10? RC.1 is out today so it would be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
Hi, I am running TrueNAS-SCALE-23.10.2.

Nothing is showing any massive usage on the main dashboard normally bounces to approx high of 6% CPU and disc peaks during the 2gb but drop. I am really new to all this.

twitcher

Dabbler

We have not seen this in the wild so it must be related to your hardware. Are you running 23.10? Dragonfish RC.1 is out today so it would be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
It also doesnt improve on reads either to the same laptop it came from copying.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
2 x WD Nasware 3.0 drives
Can you post the model numbers? "NASware" is the WD umbrella branding for their RED series, which encompasses both CMR (good) and SMR (not-good) drives for ZFS.

Drives with models ending in EFAX (eg: WD40EFAX) are SMR.

twitcher

Dabbler
Can you post the model numbers? "NASware" is the WD umbrella branding for their RED series, which encompasses both CMR (good) and SMR (not-good) drives for ZFS.

Drives with models ending in EFAX (eg: WD40EFAX) are SMR.
WD4001FFSX.

twitcher

Dabbler
That's a WD Red Pro so it will be CMR (and therefore should be fine)

Are you using features such as compression or deduplication on any datasets?
All default and the same as attached

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-21 194445.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-21 194445.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2024-03-21 194429.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-21 194429.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 22

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
No dedup so that shouldn't be throttling anything down.

Do you have shell access to the machine? I'd like to see if you can reproduce this, and then copy the output of the file /proc/spl/kstat/zfs/(yourpoolname)/txgs as raw text and bumper it inside of CODE tags (or attach as a .txt here)

twitcher

Dabbler
No dedup so that shouldn't be throttling anything down.

Do you have shell access to the machine? I'd like to see if you can reproduce this, and then copy the output of the file /proc/spl/kstat/zfs/(yourpoolname)/txgs as raw text and bumper it inside of CODE tags (or attach as a .txt here)
I do have shell access but if i run that command with my pool name it is permission denied

twitcher

Dabbler
I do have shell access but if i run that command with my pool name it is permission denied
I am tempted to wipe it all and start again to see if it was just this time but been copying files over at 10MB's for a lot longer than i expected i dont want to do it again at this speed

LarsR

Guru
There's also some Toshiba surveillance drives that can be smr... Model numbers are:
HDWT840UZSVA
P300 DT02 DT02-V 4TB version
P300 DT02 DT02-V 6TB version
HDWT740UZSVA 4TB version
HDWT740UZSVA 2TB Version
HDWT860UZSVA

twitcher

Dabbler
You'll have to prepend the command with sudo if you're signed in as admin vs. root
Done that but still no success getting this message now

admin@truenas[~]$ sudo /proc/spl/kstat/zfs/SNAS/txgs
sudo: /proc/spl/kstat/zfs/SNAS/txgs: command not found

twitcher

Dabbler
There's also some Toshiba surveillance drives that can be smr... Model numbers are:
HDWT840UZSVA
P300 DT02 DT02-V 4TB version
P300 DT02 DT02-V 6TB version
HDWT740UZSVA 4TB version
HDWT740UZSVA 2TB Version
HDWT860UZSVA
It is HDWT740 but thats all it has on it