Data Migrate/clone to bigger drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dureal99d

Contributor
I have a drive that is loads smaller than the drive i want to replace it with.

The thing is this drive I want to clone also has my jails on it. I figure no bigger if I want in fact want to simply clone.

How would I do this in FreeNAS? I have looked around but have found nothing specific or useful.

Also none of the older content that may have addressed this loads on the forum at this time.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I simply want to clone the data the the bigger drive and remove the other drive for formatting.

What commands do I need to issue or can this be done in the GUI?

Build FreeNAS-11.1-U2

Platform Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 980 @ 3.33GHz

Memory 24529MB

Last edited by a moderator:

kdragon75

Wizard
I saw a writeup on this sort of thing a while back. Basically you will need to use zfs send and receive to copy the dataset to a new location. There were a few extra steps to get the zpool names to be the same on the new storage.

Also if your just upgrading your drives, you could do one at a time and resilver. Once all drives in the pool are replaced, extend the volumes as needed. This is a little less safe depending on your pool layout though.

What's the layout of your zpool?
Code:
zpool list -v
and are you replacing drives or just adding and migrating data?

dureal99d

Contributor
I saw a writeup on this sort of thing a while back. Basically you will need to use zfs send and receive to copy the dataset to a new location. There were a few extra steps to get the zpool names to be the same on the new storage.

Also if your just upgrading your drives, you could do one at a time and resilver. Once all drives in the pool are replaced, extend the volumes as needed. This is a little less safe depending on your pool layout though.

What's the layout of your zpool?
Code:
zpool list -v
and are you replacing drives or just adding and migrating data?
I thank you for your reply but i have already achieved the desired outcome.

I soon will be posting a well typed out tutorial in the forum.

I was able to migrate my jails and data all while keeping them in tact and working

I also discovered how to change iocage to load on my desired zpool.

all off these steps will be mentioned in this tutorial to come!!! ;););):cool::cool::cool::D:D:D

kdragon75

Wizard
Nice! I look forward to seeing you guide!

Status
Not open for further replies.