Migrate to larger SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grasfer

Dabbler
Hi,
Got a HP Microserver Gen8 with 1 120gb ssd, 3x 3tb hds in the main bays.
Freenas 9.3 is installed on a USB drive.
On the ssd i got my jails and other stuff i want fast access.
Is there a way to migrate that ssd to a bigger one in a easy way?

Use my main computer to clone drive or any other options?

// Grasfer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Put new drive in, create new pool with it, shutdown jails, snapshot the old drive, replicate old drive to new drive, change jail root path, unmount old drive.

I think is the best way to do it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Create a pool on the new drive, replicate data from old drive to new drive using ZFS replication, rename new pool to old pool's name.

Grasfer

Dabbler
Put new drive in, create new pool with it, shutdown jails, snapshot the old drive, replicate old drive to new drive, change jail root path, unmount old drive.

I think is the best way to do it.

Just not 100% sure about the snapshot bit.
Storage > select my dataset i want to replicate to the other ssd > create snapshot > name it something fancy (do i select recursive here or not) then im not sure what to do next.

danb35

Hall of Famer
There's actually a much easier way to do it than either I or @SweetAndLow had suggested--just replace the disk in the web GUI. Power down the system, install the new SSD, go to Storage, select the pool (not the dataset within the pool), click Volume Status, click the disk you want to replace (which should be the only disk in the pool), click Replace, select the new disk in the pop-up window, and you're good. The system will resilver all the data to the new disk, and offline the old disk when it's done. You can then, at your convenience, power down the server and remove the old disk.

Edit: Yes, I just tested this, and it works on the latest stable 9.3 version. Don't know about anything earlier.

Grasfer

Dabbler
There's actually a much easier way to do it than either I or @SweetAndLow had suggested--just replace the disk in the web GUI. Power down the system, install the new SSD, go to Storage, select the pool (not the dataset within the pool), click Volume Status, click the disk you want to replace (which should be the only disk in the pool), click Replace, select the new disk in the pop-up window, and you're good. The system will resilver all the data to the new disk, and offline the old disk when it's done. You can then, at your convenience, power down the server and remove the old disk.

Edit: Yes, I just tested this, and it works on the latest stable 9.3 version. Don't know about anything earlier.

Worked like a charm, now 180gig free space.

Status
Not open for further replies.