DAS alternative to ES12

Hello,

I currently have a TrueNAS build that has 8x 8TB in a single RAIDZ2 vdev. I have an additional 8x 8TB disks. I am looking to attach those with an external. Because my chassis can not add any further SATA connections, and I have PCI expansion slot options available I am considering this HBA: https://www.newegg.com/lsi-9305-16e-sas/p/N82E16816118247?

I am struggling to find a solid DAS that does not have port multiplier issues, and will work with standard miniSAS connections.
It appears the iX Systems expansion shelf is no longer available from their site. I was looking to just get the ES12 and call it a day. https://www.freenas.org/wp-content/uploads/TrueNAS_Expansion_Shelf_Datasheet_WEB.pdf

I reviewed the STH forum, the TrueNAS forum and Reddit, and the posts I have found on this topic tend towards obscure solutions, questionable custom builds (often using supermicro kits and used ebay components, other non-answers, or hardware that appears no longer available (The ES12 for example).

Background covered, my question in short:
Is there a community consensus on a TrueNAS recommended HBA/miniSAS expansion shelf/ Direct Attached Storage (DAS) that will support between 8-20x 8+TB disks? I am honestly flexible on what I pick up, I just don't want to struggle bus with questionable hardware at this point.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
A single model? No. But there are good answers.
  1. The -JBOD version of your favorite Supermicro chassis
  2. Alternatively, you can convert a regular chassis using Supermicro's JBOD management card, which handles power, fans and IPMI. You'll also need an SFF-8088/8644 to SFF-8087/8643 adapter. Only works with expander backplane, for signal integrity reasons, but you wouldn't want to run six cables for 24 disks anyway.
  3. Some people have had good luck with Dell MD-series JBODs.

jcthorne

Cadet
I am using a pair of Supermicro 847 series JBOD expansion shelves and can report they work very well with TrueNAS.