Cyberghost VPN on scale apps

fc117

Dabbler
Hi

Just succeed to apply Cyberghost VPN configuration to my Truecharts Transmission apps and as I found it not easy I write this very fast how to help potential other users :wink:

So let's go:

After downloading your (previously created) zip config file from your cyberghost account, unzip all and past it on a dataset

you will have those files:
  • ca.crt
  • client.crt
  • client.key
  • openvpn.ovpn

(For this example I'll paste them on my machine to /mnt/NVME0/VPN/)

We need now to edit the openvpn.ovpn file

First add those both lines as describe in Truecharts docs: (I've added them before the ca line)
pull-filter ignore "ifconfig-ipv6"
pull-filter ignore "route-ipv6"

Then, delete the 3 "last line" (plus all empty lines between):
ca ca.crt
cert client.crt
key client.key
as those are calling external file and we need all informations in the same file

and finally, replace those by
<ca>
-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
xxx
-----END CERTIFICATE-----
</ca>

<cert>
xxx
</cert>

<key>
-----BEGIN PRIVATE KEY-----
xxx
-----END PRIVATE KEY-----
</key>
Of course, the
xxx

as to be replaced by YOUR files content

Then you can edit your app to add the VPN
tn.jpg

• Authentication Username and Authentication password are from your cyberghost config page (where you downloaded your config)
  • IPv4 network is the network from where YOU will access this app, so your local network
  • Full Path to File is for this example is /mnt/NVME0/VPN/openvpn.ovpn

And start your apps again :cool:

To confirm all is working, you can go to your app shell, select the container of your app (transmission in my case, not openvpn)
and type:
curl ipinfo.io/ip
this will show you the public IP used by your app :smile: (which of course should be an IP from the country you have selected when you have created your config on cyberghost site)

Hope this swill help some

Last edited:

Heavy

Explorer
Nice job. OpenVPN can seriously be a pain to get going with some providers

svenEsven

Dabbler
Hi

Just succeed to apply Cyberghost VPN configuration to my Truecharts Transmission apps and as I found it not easy I write this very fast how to help potential other users :wink:

So let's go:

After downloading your (previously created) zip config file from your cyberghost account, unzip all and past it on a dataset

you will have those files:
  • ca.crt
  • client.crt
  • client.key
  • openvpn.ovpn

(For this example I'll paste them on my machine to /mnt/NVME0/VPN/)

We need now to edit the openvpn.ovpn file

First add those both lines as describe in Truecharts docs: (I've added them before the ca line)

Then, delete the 3 "last line" (plus all empty lines between):

as those are calling external file and we need all informations in the same file

and finally, replace those by

Of course, the

as to be replaced by YOUR files content

Then you can edit you app to add the VPN
View attachment 57783
  • Authentication Username and Authentication password are from your cyberghost config page (where you downloaded your config)
  • IPv4 network is the network from where YOU will access this app, so your local network
  • Full Path to File is for this example is /mnt/NVME0/VPN/openvpn.ovpn

And start your apps again :cool:

To confirm all is working, you can go to your app shell, select the container of your app (transmission in my case, not openvpn)
and type:

this will show you the public IP used by your app :smile: (which of course should be an IP from the country you have selected when you have created your config on cyberghost site)

Hope this swill help some
I love you.

marktk

Cadet
I'm sorry in advance for my incompetence, but I'm new to FREENAS, can I ask you which module you used? Because I can't really follow the tutorial.

Thank you in advance

fc117

Dabbler
I'm sorry in advance for my incompetence, but I'm new to FREENAS, can I ask you which module you used? Because I can't really follow the tutorial.

Thank you in advance
Hi,

No module, this can be applied to any apps (my screenshot of the first post is the last thing to configure on an app)

LarsR

Guru
Can you also generate a wireguard config file with cyberghost? I was thinking of using it myself but like wiregaurd more then openvpn.

fc117

Dabbler
Can you also generate a wireguard config file with cyberghost? I was thinking of using it myself but like wiregaurd more then openvpn.
Don't think it's possible. Last time I've checked, wireguard was possible only over their cyberghost-vpn application. No way to export any parameters wireguard related to use standard client

korpalala

Cadet
This was perfect and so helpful! Thank you!!
It's actually not perfect. I don't feel like it explains things super well.
  • I figured out the CyberGhost OpenVPN config and have the files downloaded.
  • I have edited the openvpn.ovpn file and figured out what he was talking about up to the "and of course -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
    • Is he just trying to be double-inclusive of what he already indicated in the step before? I don't get the extra "and of course" part.
I am uncertain about the '/mnt/NVME0/VPN/' path. Is this being newly created? Is this on the app environment or the host server filesystem?

Finally, the post references TrueNAS docs. I assume this is some sort of documentation somewhere on the site that he didn't link.

I'm willing to rewrite this fully and clearly with the lowest common denominator in mind for the audience if someone can help me unravel a these last little bits.

Thanks!

sfatula

Guru

Thank you in advance
If you truly mean freenas, which runs on freeBSD and doesn't have apps, these posts do not apply to you. This is the Scale forums, which is Linux and use "apps", freenas uses "jails" and not Truecharts which is an app catalog.

LarsR

Guru
'/mnt/NVME0/VPN/'
That's the folder he created on his Server where he saved the opvenvpn config file. For you, you need to create that folder yourself and save the config in in.

Edit: Of course you can name that folder anyway you want.

korpalala

Cadet
That's the folder he created on his Server where he saved the opvenvpn config file. For you, you need to create that folder yourself and save the config in in.

Edit: Of course you can name that folder anyway you want.
Thanks. Once I've got this whole process laid out, I'll re-write the initial instructions in a step-by-step manner with links to the appropriate docs, etc.