cursor not working in Ubuntu desktop vm (TrueNAS Core VM)

TN68

Dabbler
Circling back around, I did read about the "patch" command, which appears to be able to apply a diff file. Above my paygrade, but interesting reading:
That's what I had hoped was possible... neat. But I'm also not brave enough to attempt. I'd give it a whirl on a less "critical" system.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, but you'd patch the source file! And then rebuild all of TrueNAS because bhyve is a kernel component, not an isolated application. Building TrueNAS starts with checking out the github project I already linked to. Wich already contains the patch. So you might just as well install one of the nightly releases ... which are built from the patched source code.

TN68

Dabbler
Yes, but you'd patch the source file! And then rebuild all of TrueNAS because bhyve is a kernel component, not an isolated application. Building TrueNAS starts with checking out the github project I already linked to. Wich already contains the patch. So you might just as well install one of the nightly releases ... which are built from the patched source code.
Thanks for the clarity.

I see threads about changing to nightly builds, from stable, but then others saying you can't change back to stable? Can you share any knowledge on that front?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Yes, you cannot change back to stable other than by reinstalling. Best save a config before switching to nightly.

MastaBlasta

Cadet
I have tried the nightly build with no success. I have also not had any luck with any older boot environments of TrueNAS Core as troubleshooting steps. Is the only solution to wait for the official update in April?

lmcore

Cadet
Hello, a quick comment about the cursor not working on ubuntu virtual machine inside the Truenas Core. I switched to AlmaLinux as my VM for a while because I needed the GUI.
It seems the issue was related to Debian based versions. I tried several versions of Linux and fortunately AlmaLinux (9.3) worked very well on Bhyve for me. But this weekend I upgraded my Truenas Core to Scale (Cobia).

Everything went well. Actually, better than expected.

My Ubuntu Virtual Machine originally created in Truenas Core is working perfectly in my Truenas Scale without any modification of the kernel. The only change I made was on the devices section. I just selected the correct "NIC to Attach" device.
The ubuntu is working perfectly on scale, no issues with the cursor or mouse. Happy to recover my old ubuntu VM.

I understood virtual machines could not be migrated from Core to Scale.
I assume it was not luck, but it is because Ubuntu is based on Debian as is Scale.
For example, my AlmaLinux VM did not survive the migration. I made the same adjustment, but I got a Kernel Panic error.

I hope this help those having issues with Debian based VMs on Core, thinking on migrating to Scale and willing to take the risk.