cron job won't "run now" but works fine otherwise, no email.

stevecyb

Dabbler
I have a cron job that will run when it's scheduled, but "run now" doesn't seem to do anything (the GUI assures me the job has started but I see no results whatsoever).

(I searched. I found a lot of posts for cron jobs not running under any circumstances, but not this problem.)

I have a work around; alter the schedule so it will run a minute from now, make sure it's enabled, then undo that once the job starts. But it's still frustrating.

Also, it doesn't help that I get no email (I run as root, and logged in as root, running "mail" tells me there's no mail for root). I have DISABLED both error and standard output suppression (i.e., they should be enabled), so I should be getting something, right?

stevecyb

Dabbler
11.2 U6 running on a Mini XL+ (Sorry, I should have said all of that in the first place.)

D

dlavigne

Please create a report at bugs.ixsystems.com and post the issue number here.

stevecyb

Dabbler
Before I do that...has anyone else run into this problem?

If it's just me, I don't see how it can be a system bug.

stevecyb

Dabbler
This may have been fixed for BETA1 with this: https://jira.ixsystems.com/browse/NAS-101569. If you get a chance to test 11.3 (either during the BETA period or once it is released), please create another bug ticket if the issue still persists for you.

That's going to be a bit of a trick as my network is airgapped from the internet.

EDIT: I just read the issue, and it only addresses my not getting mail from the cron job. I don't get mail for ANY cron job (not even to the root user on the NAS itself), which is probably me not setting things up right in the system.

It doesn't appear to address the fact that the cron job itself doesn't actually execute at all when I do a "run now," which is a far more serious issue (I only cared about the e-mail because I was hoping to see an informative error message as to why the cron job didn't run).