Credentials in Truenas Scale not editing properly

William Bravin

Contributor
Greetings to all

I just installed Truenas Scale as a VM on Proxmox on a dell r710.

this is a test environment that i am using to learn more and more about truenas and hypervisors.

Once this all will be working i will migrate this to an a r730

In setting the credentials to allow one of my truenas (core) servers to backup all my datasets to the 710

On all my turnas core servers the owner are UID wbravin and group wheel and it works. I can backup restore and moves files to my hearts content no issue.
I look at the credentials they show owner wbravin group wheel (which is correct)

in turenas scale I set the owner of the dataset to wbravin no issue, I set the group to wheel and save all fine

However when i go to datasets and look at the permission widget on the right called permissions i see the owner as wbravin however the group as root.

Thi is not correct the widget should show the correct owner (which i does) and the correct group ( which it doesn't)

Oh BTW i see that in truenas scale i cannot set the name of a dataset as two separate word ( ie. Tv Shows) i must set the name to TvShows

are these issues or am i missing a step?

Thank you

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Greetings to all

I just installed Truenas Scale as a VM on Proxmox on a dell r710.

this is a test environment that i am using to learn more and more about truenas and hypervisors.

Once this all will be working i will migrate this to an a r730

In setting the credentials to allow one of my truenas (core) servers to backup all my datasets to the 710

On all my turnas core servers the owner are UID wbravin and group wheel and it works. I can backup restore and moves files to my hearts content no issue.
I look at the credentials they show owner wbravin group wheel (which is correct)

in turenas scale I set the owner of the dataset to wbravin no issue, I set the group to wheel and save all fine

However when i go to datasets and look at the permission widget on the right called permissions i see the owner as wbravin however the group as root.

Thi is not correct the widget should show the correct owner (which i does) and the correct group ( which it doesn't)
It shows the correct group. Both `root` and `wheel` are gid 0. You can think of NSS as parsing the list in /etc/group first name it hits with gid 0 is one it returns (gid to name). We added `wheel` group to Linux so that people with hard-coded group names in various places will not break on migration (name to gid).

William Bravin

Contributor
Thank you @anodos for this prompt reply

I understand your thinking and it makes sense however for a newbie like myself (i'm like the person going to a flour mill and gets flour dust on their pants, that does not make him a miller)

I would still suggest that if the user creates a credential setting this should be displayed in the reporting.

I still feel that this should be fixed by ixsystem

Once again thank you for taking the time to explain this to me this is greatly appreciated. Now i will not question it

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you @anodos for this prompt reply

I understand your thinking and it makes sense however for a newbie like myself (i'm like the person going to a flour mill and gets flour dust on their pants, that does not make him a miller)

I would still suggest that if the user creates a credential setting this should be displayed in the reporting.

I still feel that this should be fixed by ixsystem
That's not how the OS works. It's not possible to do what you want.

William Bravin

Contributor
Hello

Thank you for your reply and sorry for taking so long for my reply.

Weather an OS or an application they are all designed, developed, tested and deployed by individuals.

If in this case this how it should work fine then such a situation should be documented (i did not find).

Thank you for taking the time to educate me in this case. I truly appreciate this.

Just for your information;

I installed Truenas scale in proxmox (it was easier than installing core).

I built my dataset

Computers
Documents
habackups
Movies
Music
Series

......... Fine

Series was created to replace/rename my datasets that existed in both truenas core servers called Tv Shows.

In Scale Tv Shows was not possible because apparently the naming convention in in scale does not allow spaces in the name like in core

. Fine

I configured rsync to populate the dives on the s710 server and I SCREWED UP.

In setting the path for the rsync module without thinking i indicated the path to be as mnt/media/Tv Shows

and it was accepted and the copy and paste was done

However in the datasets screen under media pool, TV Shows does not show up as a dataset and Series does.

Server 1 did rsync to the r710 all the files and copied then in a folder called Tv Shows

Furthermore in sharing I can go to SAMBA and add a share called Tv Shows and i can access the files in in windows explorer

I believe this is an issue in turenas scale.

If not how can i show Tv Shows as a dataset in the pool?

Interesting