Creating a 10TB ZVOL - wait dialog never completes

Darren David

Explorer
Hey all-

Running FreeNAS 11.2-RELEASE. I've got a 51TB RAIDZ2 (10TB x 8) and I'm trying to create a 10TB sparse ZVOL to host a Windows Server VM. I'v got 38TB of free space. I tried creating the ZVOL under Storage > Pools under my "vm" dataset (which is hosting a few other zvols currently), but upon clicking "save" the UI presents a spinning "please wait" dialog that has been running for 40 minutes now. I'm guessing it should take this long - I don't see any processes or disk activity in 'top' that would indicate anything is actually happening, 'zfs list' from teh shell doesn't show the zvol present. Any thoughts on what could be the issue here, or how to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance,
Darren

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Any thoughts on what could be the issue here, or how to troubleshoot?
I would test this by going to the old UI (logout and login to the other UI) and try to do the action from there. It is entirely possible that this is a bug that hasn't been identified yet. So, if it works from the old UI, that would tend to validate the bug idea and I would say submitting a report is the answer.

Darren David

Explorer
I would test this by going to the old UI (logout and login to the other UI) and try to do the action from there. It is entirely possible that this is a bug that hasn't been identified yet. So, if it works from the old UI, that would tend to validate the bug idea and I would say submitting a report is the answer.

Sure enough, it works in the legacy UI. Bug logged. https://redmine.ixsystems.com/issues/73083

kekoakeakane

Dabbler
I have just confirmed this bug in the new interface. New interface will only let you create a zvol at the root of the pool and not under any dataset.