Create New ZVOL in POOL Root Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day folks,

Anybody know how/if I can create a ZVOL in the root of my POOL? I already have datasets in TANK/ZVOL, but I'd like to separate some stuff into a different ZVOL while still having access to the size of the current POOL. I'd like to add a TANK/NEW_ZVOL so I have both..

TANK/
TANK/ZVOL
TANK/NEW_ZVOL

Any thoughts on how I'd go about this?

Stux

MVP
Just do it?

Ie just create another zvol... right?

Just do it?

Ie just create another zvol... right?

LOL... No.

The GUI lets you create a ZVOL of a specific size which resides in the hierarchy of your datasets. It sits there nestled in with your datasets and uses the space you assign whether it needs it or not. I'm looking to create a second ZVOL inside the main pool that shares space with the other ZVOL I already have.

Can't see a way to do it...

In other words, the pool is initially created with a ZVOL of the same name. I want another ZVOL inside the POOL (Volume) that shares the space of the whole pool...

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Your terminology is confusing and it's unclear exactly what you want to do.

A zvol is a special type of dataset that provides a block device instead of a filesystem. It can live on the top-level dataset (which shares the pool's name) or in any child dataset.

It sits there nestled in with your datasets and uses the space you assign whether it needs it or not.
I'm looking to create a second ZVOL inside the main pool that shares space with the other ZVOL I already have.
So you want to thin provision them? Just check that box on creation. You can probably place them in a dataset with a quota to impose some limits before the pool is full.

Your terminology is confusing and it's unclear exactly what you want to do.

Yeah, I know... Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Structure.png

So I'd like to place another ZVOL at the hierarchy level of the other highlighted ZVOL above. Right in the root of the thing... Is that doable? Or does any other ZVOL's I create have to live at the level of the datasets (Backups, Containers, Documents, etc...)?

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
So I'd like to place another ZVOL at the hierarchy level of the other highlighted ZVOL above.
That is not a zvol, that is the top-level dataset. You can't have more than one. And you wouldn't gain anything at all from doing that, if possible.

The top row is the output of zpool status, meaning raw space without taking parity into account.

That is not a zvol, that is the top-level dataset. You can't have more than one. And you wouldn't gain anything at all from doing that, if possible.

The top row is the output of zpool status, meaning raw space without taking parity into account.

Ah! Thank you... That answers that... ;)

I was a little confused by the tab being called "Volumes". I assumed the first level was the name of the Pool/Volume and that the next one was the default ZVOL. Guess the "Edit Dataset" option should have been a clue. LOL Anyhow, thanks again!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.