Not open for further replies.

qubit

Dabbler
Hi

HP N54L Proliant
RAM - 16GB
HDD - x4 Seagate 2TB 7200.14 7200rpm ST2000DM001
FreeNAS 9.1.1

I got the impression from amongst recent reading, that multiple pools could be created, I can not see how to do that. Maybe it is a set of discs = 1 pool and I missed the point entirely.

This particular NAS is for my SOHO. 98% of what goes on the NAS is backup of my working Mac, and replicated backup of backup from a FileMaker server. I almost entirely only push to it. Some/all I plan to additionally backup to a separate NAS or JBOD; probably my current freeness 8 box reconfigured.

I thought it would be appropriate to have 3 pools.

1) ctx - for general day to day mix of mostly backup data (from my working Mac) of database development mostly , plus a small amount of peripheral/lose-able reference data that is accessed occasionally

2) Media - for backup of iTunes and iPhoto

3) Crypt - for historical client data- all client database iterations (patient data, financial data…) , too much of it to clone the files, so I would like to protect it via encryption

I was assuming that media (which is only a backup) on a separate volume/pool would reduce the overhead on the more accessed ctx pool, and also reduce resilvering time should that ever eventuate.

As encryption, as I currently understand it) is a property of a pool, then is assigned to only one pool for long term storage, tat probably only gets data upload a couple of times a month, seemed a means of reducing overhead overall.

I had been using a qnap (hideous) for data to day backup, and also have had a freeness 7/8 box (super micro mobo…) for a while. Now at a point where I want to integrate… I guess I am missing some fundamentals.

D

dlavigne

Regarding the encryption: in FreeNAS, encryption is at the disk level, not the filesystem level. That means either everything or nothing is encrypted. Only Oracle has ZFS encryption at the filesystem level and noone is holding their breath that that will ever get open sourced.

To create multiple pools, make them one at a time in ZFS Volume Manager and give each pool its own Volume Name.

qubit

Dabbler
ok, I must have misread re the encryption; I'll have to use a second NAS dedicated to that then.

Having created the initial pool, in Volume Manager, there is no drop list values and the slider does not function. Is this because the first pool was allocated all available space?

thanks dlavigne

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 12.36.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-23 at 12.36.17 AM.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 251
D

dlavigne

Yes. To create multiple pools you create one volume with some of the disks, the next volume with some more of the disks, etc.

Though, you may be able to do what you want to accomplish with datasets now that encryption will be happening elsewhere.

qubit

Dabbler
ok got it, so having allocated all 4 physical discs to the initial pool, no more discs!

Datasets was going to be my initial approach, then having a separate encrypted pool seemed plausible

thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.