Crashplan backup only as destination, or will it also backup to the cloud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walter Gunter

Dabbler
I am using the Crashplan plugin (3.6.3 with Client GUI 4.5, after upgrade from 4.3 on Linux Ubuntu).
now that it is running, i see my crashplan freenas as a destination. So, it appears, that I will be backing up to both the freenas Crashplan machine and also to the cloud. For some reason, I thought it would be backed up to the crashplan freenas machine and then that would backup to the cloud. The method seems find, just wonder if I am thinking of it correctly, or did I miss something in the setup.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You can't backup to the cloud, a backup of another computer.

You can backup storage that's attached to the crashplan plugin (to their cloud), but you can't back up the backups performed on your LAN to your crashplan plugin.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I saw your other post, and it seems like you have this figured out. But just in case, I'll clarify:

Any machine that has Crashplan installed can both be a destination for you (or friends or family) as well as backup the files on that machine to another location (with the exception of not being able to "re-backup" crashplan backup files).

So to put another way. Any machine with crashplan installed can:
1. Backup to Crashplan Central (with a subscription)
2. Backup to another machine under your account
3. Backup to a friend or family member (assuming they give you the code)
4. Be a backup destination for your other machines or friend/family members

Walter Gunter

Dabbler
I saw your other post, and it seems like you have this figured out. But just in case, I'll clarify:

Any machine that has Crashplan installed can both be a destination for you (or friends or family) as well as backup the files on that machine to another location (with the exception of not being able to "re-backup" crashplan backup files).

So to put another way. Any machine with crashplan installed can:
1. Backup to Crashplan Central (with a subscription)
2. Backup to another machine under your account
3. Backup to a friend or family member (assuming they give you the code)
4. Be a backup destination for your other machines or friend/family members
@depasseg 're-backup' crashplan backup files? That is unclear to me. Does this mean that things I backup to my backups with the crashplan plugin running on FreeNAS cannot be backed up the crashplan cloud? Not sure why this logic isn't working for me. I am backing up to the FreeNAS with the crashplan plugin and i have it connected to a Linux machine that has the Crashplan GUI connected to FreeNAS with ssh port forwarding. Don't the storages I have setup get backed up to the cloud?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
@depasseg 're-backup' crashplan backup files? That is unclear to me. Does this mean that things I backup to my backups with the crashplan plugin running on FreeNAS cannot be backed up the crashplan cloud? Not sure why this logic isn't working for me. I am backing up to the FreeNAS with the crashplan plugin and i have it connected to a Linux machine that has the Crashplan GUI connected to FreeNAS with ssh port forwarding. Don't the storages I have setup get backed up to the cloud?
I have repeatedly stated that you CANNOT take a backup made with a crashplan CLIENT to your crashplan SERVER, and back it up to the cloud.

This really is not a difficult thing to grasp. It truly is not hard.

YOU CANNOT MAKE A BACKUP OF A MACHINE TO YOUR SERVER USING CRASHPLAN AND HAVE IT BACK UP THE BACKUP TO THEIR CLOUD.

They do not allow it.

It does not work.

Crashplan will not allow you to backup 'CLIENT BACKUPS' made where your crashplan server was the DESTINATION.

I don't know how many more ways I can say it.

Try reading your other thread again, too.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-where-does-the-data-go.40362/

Walter Gunter

Dabbler
hmmm...but if I am backing up any other way than through the client on another machine, then it will be okay. I am currently not using crashplan clients on other machines to backup to the FreeNAS crashplan server. I was worried that maybe the backups that I reference with the jail storage would fall into that category. clear as mud.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
hmmm...but if I am backing up any other way than through the client on another machine, then it will be okay. I am currently not using crashplan clients on other machines to backup to the FreeNAS crashplan server. I was worried that maybe the backups that I reference with the jail storage would fall into that category. clear as mud.
Anything you reference with the jail storage can be backed up to their cloud except any crashplan backups made where your server was the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.