CPU upgrade over RAM upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lastb0isct

Explorer
I have a quite underpowered CPU, since i knew i had room to grow and wanted to get started cheap it has suited me quite well for my workload. Until now...

I am noticing that i'm maxing out internal read/writes to separate Volumes at around 250MB/s and my System Load is high and ARC hits are somewhat low (~80% currently after rebuilding and pushing all my content back to the machine).

I currently have a Pentium G3220 with 16gb of DDR3 1600 RAM. My plan is to, within the next few month, upgrade either RAM or my CPU. I have looked into it and it seems that upgrading to a Xeon E3-1220 v3 won't be all that much and should double, if not triple my performance.

What would you recommend?

EDIT:

Forgot to post specs:

Supermico X10SL7-F
Pentium G3220 @ 3Ghz
16GB ECC DDR3 1600
5x4TB HGST NAS (Volume1)
5x3TB Seagate (Volume0)

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
What are your system loads? Are you doing anything else with the system (jails, etc.)? You need to adopt a very methodical approach to walk through the system, step-by-step, until you identify the bottleneck... then resolve it and move on.

Lastb0isct

Explorer
What are your system loads? Are you doing anything else with the system (jails, etc.)? You need to adopt a very methodical approach to walk through the system, step-by-step, until you identify the bottleneck... then resolve it and move on.

My system loads and CPU Usage when doing the copy i mentioned above were:

nMmQsYO.png

This was with basically nothing else being done (plex server may have been scanning directories). My CPU is a 2 core CPU as well. I have no jails and am sharing out via NFS to around 5 or 6 clients with maybe 1 or 2 concurrent users at a time, just copying/reading off of the storage no Virtualization or heavy tasks.

What reads/writes should i be seeing on a well performing system? I believe 250MB/s is pretty slow for internal transfers on my setup. For a little more info my RAID config is

5x4TB @ RAIDZ1 (Media Share so this redundancy is okay)
5x3TB @ RAIDZ2

I was copying from the RAIDZ1 --> RAIDZ2.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
You are running plex but have no jails? Seems odd to me. How are you moving the data? CIFS? If so I believe that a single threaded process which may cause your CPU usage to spike.

Also, Im not sure 250MB/s is really that slow on a traditional LAN. I would be pretty happy with that personally.

Just my novice 2 cents.

Lastb0isct

Explorer
You are running plex but have no jails? Seems odd to me. How are you moving the data? CIFS? If so I believe that a single threaded process which may cause your CPU usage to spike.

Also, Im not sure 250MB/s is really that slow on a traditional LAN. I would be pretty happy with that personally.

Just my novice 2 cents.

I am running plex on a completely different machine. I am running no jails or other stuff on my freenas machine as it has an underpowered CPU i believe. Plex and most of my clients all connect to my freenas box via NFS.

250MB/s is local copies. That is 2000mbps for a local copy on the freenas machine via rsync from one volume to the other. I am thinking that i should be seeing around 400MB/s for decent speeds with my setup, but its possible that the RAID setups i have can't sustain that speed.

So i'm curious if its:
a) CPU
b) Memory
c) RAID Setup

that could be lowering my local copy speeds.

Asimov1973

Dabbler
your CPU usage is unusually high....I manage to download tens of torrents and stream HD movies in LAN AND via FTP to different KODI appliances from a SAMBA partition and I never (in 2 years) used more than 60% of my G2130 processor....Try using JUMBO FRAMES in both WINDOWS computers and in your NAS..

In Freenas go to Network --> Global Configuration -->Interfaces --> click on your LAN interface ---> Edit --> and write mtu 9000 in the OPTION field.

Status
Not open for further replies.