CPU stress test

Askejm

Dabbler
Hello. I want to find what the max load temp of my CPU is. I tried looking around and saw you could run prime95 in truenas, but how? I can't seem to get it working. Thank you

Why not boot into a live Linux ISO and then run mprime or stress? (Two different programs, the former allowing for more benchmarks and stress-tests.)

There's no need to do this from TrueNAS itself (not even sure it's recommended), if you want to test the limits of your CPU and RAM.

Askejm

Dabbler
Why not boot into a live Linux ISO and then run mprime or stress? (Two different programs, the former allowing for more benchmarks and stress-tests.)

There's no need to do this from TrueNAS itself (not even sure it's recommended), if you want to test the limits of your CPU and RAM.
Well I mean I could do that but I would rather do it inside truenas if I can lmao. I'm the only person using it so downtime doesn't matter

I'm the only person using it so downtime doesn't matter
If that's the case, then even more of a reason to do it from a live ISO, rather than a running TrueNAS system (with pools and such online).

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
There's probably a reason that stress isn't installed on the host.

If you insist on doing it, installing it in a jail is probably possible.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Create a new jail.

In the console of that jail...

pkg install stress

then run it.

That can possibly work, but it seems like additional complexity and downloads (jail, packages, downloading a "release" to the iocage dataset, etc), just for a temporary stress test. Not to mention that if you're concerned it might crash or lock up your system, why would you want to do that while your ZFS pools are online?

It seems safer and cleaner to just boot into a live Linux ISO and run mprime or stress overnight (or for 24 hours, or whatever you prefer), since you're not going to be using your ZFS pools during the stress tests and CPU cooking. No need to create a jail. No need to download FreeBSD releases (for iocage). No need to download extra data and packages to your ZFS pool. No need to risk crashing or locking up your online ZFS pools during a stress/heat test, in which you wouldn't want to inadvertently access data anyways while this is happening.

Last edited:
This was exactly what I look for and works like I wanted, thank you! My temps are 59c max load
Using all cores? Make sure to specify the number of CPU threads with -c

Last edited:

Askejm

Dabbler
That can possibly work, but it seems like additional complexity and downloads (jail, packages, downloading a "release" to the iocage dataset, etc), just for a temporary stress test. Not to mention that if you're concerned it might crash or lock up your system, why would you want to do that while your ZFS pools are online?
It was pretty simple got it up and running in 5 mins
It seems safer and cleaner to just boot into a live Linux ISO and run mprime or stress overnight (or for 24 hours, or whatever you prefer), since you're not going to be using your ZFS pools during the stress tests and CPU cooking. No need to create a jail. No need to download FreeBSD releases (for iocage). No need to download extra data and packages to your ZFS pool. No need to risk crashing or locking up your online ZFS pools during a stress/heat test, in which you wouldn't want to inadvertently access data anyways while this is happening.
My nas is on top of my cabinet I would have to download it put it on a USB get my ladder out and take it down and plug a monitor in and stuff lol

Didn't have any hiccups or crashes, and like I said I am the only one using it anyways so it wouldn't matter much anyways