CPU, Mainboard recommendation for ECC system?

nas.user

Cadet
I want to build a system with ECC RAM. I just want to store data on the NAS.
1) AMD or Intel? I found some posts claiming power state issues with AMD and stability issues with the realtek network drivers?
2) Which concrete hardware can you recommend?

My budget would be up to 500 EUR for CPU and mainboard, RAM etc. excluded. Things like IPMI would be nice, but are optional. I only want to store data on the NAS, I don't need any video transcoding or so. I would prefer "modern" hardware with lower energy consumption. Ease of use/stability is more important to me that saving money, as long as it's not above 500 EUR. Thanks!

MisterE2002

Patron
1: Only intel has good track record. I like AMD, but currently not really a option (not familiar with last generations)
2: I use Supermicro X11SCL-F ("L" of low cost) but this is already a big chunk of your budget.

The cheaper way would to buy some second hand server dumps. For example the X9 series. AFAIK the energy consumption between last generations are negligible. (of course depends on the wattage of the CPU)

Note: older IPMI are java based and really sucks. We need to apply "hacks" to make everything work. ASPEED 2500, and newer 2600, is HTML-based and much better. This was my main reason to choose X11 and it just works.

Please also read the community guides!

mrpasc

Dabbler
You can check Atom C3000 boards, those may fit your needs. Available as ITX or mATX, plenty of Sata Ports, take ECC RDIMM, have IPMI and low power footprint. There’s a reason IX systems use such boards for their „Mini“ systems…

nas.user

Cadet
Thanks you both for your replies, good starting points!

@mrpasc Atom C3000 after my research is quite old, with also e.g. ASPEED 2400. Reading the post from MisterE2002 about versions before 2600, I took them out of my selection. Nevertheless, they are cheaper of course :smile:

@MisterE2002 Which community guides are you refering to? Thank you :smile:

ChrisRJ

Wizard
AFAIK the energy consumption between last generations are negligible. (of course depends on the wattage of the CPU)
The "wattage" part might be misleading. More than 10 years ago the TDP and average power consumption of a CPU were roughly comparable. So a lower TDP CPU also meant lower on-average power consumption. Those days are long gone.

Today a lower TDP only means that you can use a smaller CPU cooler. But for a workload that is mostly idle, which is typical for a home NAS, there is no measurable difference between a 65 W TDP and a 125 W TDP CPU. It therefore also means that going for a low-power CPU version ("L" in the name) is not helpful.