CPU for ISCSI from Freenas server to EXSI server

spacetrucker

Cadet
Any cpu suggestions for using iscsi to connect to a storage volume on freenas for several vms running on another lab server?

drinking12many

Contributor
its less about CPU than RAM, disk, and networking. I have done ISCSI LUNSs from several older AMD based boxes I had built where I usually ran into problems was having enough RAM. I would see my box crash fairly often when I was using ISCSI LUNs as RDMs for some SQL clusters in VMware. I would usually see some log messages about swapping etc right before it crashed. That box had 24GB and I had one VM running on it along with a bunch of jails. My new build has 64GB I only finished it 2 weeks ago, but so far with only doing a limited amount of cluster work it hasn't crashed. I have probably a total of almost 20 ISCSI LUNS though for 1 or 2 or maybe even under 5, I doubt most people would run into the issues I was having but even with the LUNS, VM, and Jails on a 12 core server my CPU load is rarely much above 10% unless I am transcoding in plex or something which is very rare in my house.