Corsair HX750i and Supermicro X11SSM-F-O

Hi. I finished building my new NAS and it's currently running some burn-in testing

My question is that the HX750i has a PMBus cable and the X11SSM-F should support this (I am not completely sure) through the connector at JPI2C1. The connector given by the corsair PSU does not match that of the motherboard and some googling around reveals that although, theoretically, they should be compatible, it would require some modification of the connector on the PSU cable.

So what I'm asking is, is there any way to make the PSU PMBus connect to the motherboard and have it come up in the IPMI (if compatible)?

I did some probing with a multimeter and this is what I could fine: (Orientation: Small end (the piece that connects to the motherboard) has it's clip side facing the floor and the cables going into the connector facing away from you. In this orientation, pin 1 is left)

Pin 1: Getting a reading of 3.12V
Pin 2: Ground
Pin 3: 3.18V
Pin 4: Meter is showing 22 mV of Voltage and on the frequency setting it shows a very jumpy reading (jumping between 15 to 33 kHz)

None of the other pins show a frequency reading

Any ideas? Comparing with the JPI2C1 header on the X11SSM-F pinout, not a whole lot matches up especially considering there's 5 pins on that header instead of 4 (which might be the huge flaw of this whole idea). Maybe Pin1 or Pin3 could be a clock or the 3.3V pin or maybe one of them is the PMBUS_Alert? I'm assuming pin4 is the data line due to it's jumpy nature and pin2 is just ground

My meter only goes up to 15MHz and some quick googling says that I2C operates up to 400kHz

Probably the reason why this thread didn't get any replies is because it's too crazy or just won't work shown by the lack of results on google but I keep on saying that since this corsair PSU has a PMBUS header and PMBUS should be a standard to some extent then there should be some way to make this work

EDIT: Had a quick thought. Saw that there exists FM I2C which would explain the jumpy frequency reading on pin4 and it would mean (my electronics knowledge is very very limited) that the clock and data line is on pin4? Where the base frequency at 15kHz is the clock and anything above that is data?

Last edited: