Correct procedure for replacing (upgrading) a NIC

dilacerated

Dabbler
I've been running an Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO/1000 CT since 0.7.2. It's configured for DHCP and my UTM has a static IP reserved for its MAC.

Late last year I picked up an X550-T2. I installed it last weekend but:
  • Both ports are down in the WebUI with a cable plugged into either.
  • ifconfig shows "status: no carrier" for ix0 or ix1 despite physical link and the LED's are off.
  • I can't bring either port up in the WebUI but I can bring such up via the console with ifconfig.
  • Thereafter I do see that ifconfig shows "status: active" and refreshing the WebUI likewise sees the interface being up.
My question is how do I, from the WebUI as the console tells you with 13.0-U6.1, remove DHCP from the old em0 interface, enable it on ix0 and bring that interface up?

The closest thread I could find on describing a successful replacement of a NIC is this: https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/change-physical-lan-interface.80971/. That's not entirely via the WebUI but does that sound right?

Last edited:

dilacerated

Dabbler
Am I overthinking this? Is it just a matter of unchecking DHCP on the old interface and checking it on the new?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Am I overthinking this? Is it just a matter of unchecking DHCP on the old interface and checking it on the new?
That really should be it. Of course, you'd want to change the IP reservation in your router to the new MAC address. Or you could just configure a static IP on the interface.

dilacerated

Dabbler
That really should be it. Of course, you'd want to change the IP reservation in your router to the new MAC address. Or you could just configure a static IP on the interface.
Yeah I had already added the new MAC address to the reservation in my UTM.

Unchecking DHCP on the old interface and checking DHCP on the new interface didn't work. Lost access to the WebUI until the changes were reverted.

What worked was applying a static IP to the old interface, unchecking DHCP on it and then enabling DHCP on the new interface.