CORE 13.0-U5.3 - Transmission jail won't update from 3.00_5 to 4.0.4

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Because sudo is not installed by default. But "sudo command" is not a Linux way. It is an "I want to run a specific command as root while logged in as an ordinary user" way. These facts matter, sorry for nitpicking. But you would have got an "permission denied" on Linux all the same if you did not set the execute bit. So using sudo you could have typed "sudo sh ./post_install.sh"

@zmeul: I intentionally leave some things out (such as what user to run a command, the execute bit of a script file, "sudo", invoking "sh", etc, etc, etc) since I think it's better to let someone get their hands dirty. I find that such lessons "stick" better than simply writing out every single command with every single caveat. We more effectively retain what we have to figure out and tweak on our own.

(It's also why I didn't mention anything about using SSH, the GUI's Shell, or "iocage console", since if you already know? Great. If not, then it's more helpful to ask "How do I even 'get inside' the jail?")

Whenever you get stuck, just ask! :smile:

Case in point, @Patrick M. Hausen shared some very insightful things that are universal (not specific to running Transmission in a jail.)

zmeul

Dabbler
@zmeul: I intentionally leave some things out (such as what user to run a command, the execute bit of a script file, "sudo", invoking "sh", etc, etc, etc) since I think it's better to let someone get their hands dirty. I find that such lessons "stick" better than simply writing out every single command with every single caveat. We more effectively retain what we have to figure out and tweak on our own.

(It's also why I didn't mention anything about using SSH, the GUI's Shell, or "iocage console", since if you already know? Great. If not, then it's more helpful to ask "How do I even 'get inside' the jail?")

Whenever you get stuck, just ask! :smile:

Case in point, @Patrick M. Hausen shared some very insightful things that are universal (not specific to running Transmission in a jail.)
yes, I saw you left some things out :tongue:

I will ask when and only when I hit a brick wall, until then I search and discover .. the wrong way, the right way, I'll get it somehow

I'll keep the original plugin and maybe, someday, I'll find a fix or it fixes itself trough updates/releases

or it fixes itself trough updates/releases
Not likely.

Plugins are deprecated, iXsystems discourages their use. As for Transmission, that plugin hasn't even been updated in over a year. Consider it abandoned. (The "party" is happening over in "SCALEtopia" :frown:).

We "COREnians" must stick together! NEVER SURRENDER!!! :mad:

zmeul

Dabbler
Not likely.

Plugins are deprecated, iXsystems discourages their use. As for Transmission, that plugin hasn't even been updated in over a year. Consider it abandoned. (The "party" is happening over in "SCALEtopia" :frown:).
odd thing is that updating the plugin and jail worked some month ago, I got it to 13.1-RELEASE-p9 from some earlier release

I really don't like what iX is doing to CORE, SCALE is not something suited for my use case

scineram

Cadet
Thanks to this thread I was able to escape plugin hell, also to get 4.0.4. I just copied over whole /usr/local/etc/transmission/home to new jail after setting the same mountpoints and permissions. Everything came up seamlessly on service start exactly where I left it in plugin.

zmeul

Dabbler
Successfully upgraded to most recent version 4.0.4_1.
yes, seems the plugin updated on my system too
probably the initial release had some issues, to note: the original jail is on 13.1-RELEASE-p9 while the manually created jail is 13.2-RELEASE-p3
so, there still is some issue, but most likely one that I created myself trying to "fix" it