Copying data

Yummiesttag

Dabbler
I have one 8TB drive about half way filled with data. Is it possible to shrink the pool and create an NTFS partition to transfer the data to? I am shutting down my Plex server, So I wanted to convert the file system over to NTFS without having to buy a a 4tb drive to copy the data.

You have a ZFS pool, comprised of a single drive, and you want to "shrink the pool" to use a 4 TB partition to format as NTFS?

And you're using TrueNAS, why?

Did I read this correctly? I don't understand what you're trying to do, or why TrueNAS is involved. TrueNAS is ZFS-only. (You can "import" another filesystem, for the sake of reading some data, but they're not used for read-write storage, let alone used in any pool.)

Yummiesttag

Dabbler
You have a ZFS pool, comprised of a single drive, and you want to "shrink the pool" to use a 4 TB partition to format as NTFS?

And you're using TrueNAS, why?

Did I read this correctly? I don't understand what you're trying to do, or why TrueNAS is involved. TrueNAS is ZFS-only. (You can "import" another filesystem, for the sake of reading some data, but they're not used for read-write storage, let alone used in any pool.)
I originally used FreeNAS which has become TrueNAS for plex and smb shares. I am shutting down the plex server portion but wanted to keep the data, along with the data on the smb shares. Because I’m shutting down truenas and just want the data back on an NTFS partition.
I will say I don’t have a firm grasp on the data pools side of truenas, amongst other things. Which is why I made a simple post asking if it would be possible. I’m just going to borrow a buddies 6tb drive to temporarily hold the data while I put the shucked drive back in the enclosure and format it.