SOLVED container port forward to privileged port

Grinas

Contributor
Just migrating to scale from truenas and i am unable to port foward to a privileged port. It shows i as ok in the UI but when i do a Nmap port scan it shows closed but the port im forwarding from is open.

basically i just want all my web apps on the same port(80) so i dont have the remember the soecific port for each app along with dns name or ip.

i done similar with truenas core using a firewall rule do i have to do the same here.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So you want a reverse proxy then... Traefik or Nginx Proxy Manager...

You can't match what you did with jails in Kubernetes outside of the port forwarding already allowed in the config of each app. (maybe that's what you're talking about if you've done the work to get a load balancer assigning an IP per app, but then can't work with the ports as the network becomes native to the container)

Grinas

Contributor
All my containers are built with my own docker images and all seem to have their own separate IPs and not using the truenas host IP. All images are debian based so I can install software on them.

I'm interested what is the purpose of the port forwarding feature as it doesn't seem to work for me and is it possible to just install a FW software on the container images and do what I done in jails?

I tired using the port forwarding to map the app port on all containers to 9500 but that didn't work either.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
All images are debian based so I can install software on them.
I think you might be missing the point of containers a bit. Containers should be ephemeral and contain no work that needs saving... containers may be recreated at any time without losing work (volume/bind mounts are to store that work).
I'm interested what is the purpose of the port forwarding feature as it doesn't seem to work for me
Because that's intended to work with the host network stack to redirect the port when sharing the host's IP (which you're not doing).

It seems to me that what you really want is not to care about the port mapping... so why not use the technology that's intended byKubernetes to deal with that: ingress (with something like Traefik)

sfatula

Guru
If you are using your own IP in each docker container, there is no need to port forward. Use the port directly with the containers IP. I do that with several apps, no issue at all.

sretalla