SOLVED Constant zpool degrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z300M

Guru
Not in the least. It means that one or a handful of test units that were evaluated squeaked over some arbitrary bar.
And it does not take into account the possibility that a less-than-reputable manufacturer will send a few samples for testing then manufacture products with that same model number but with inferior or omitted components.

Green750one

Dabbler
Sounds like Power issue.

Sata connectors should not be split more than once.

3 itty bitty pins for each voltage means a total of 4.5A for 12V. Normal drives needs about 2A for spinup. This means that two drives hanging off one connector will draw circa 4A. 3 would exceed the rating of the connector.

Then you need to worry about the current of the main wire loom, and what rail it's connected to.

I'd suggest doing yourself a favor and getting a good single rail modular psu.

EVGA, corsair RMx, Seasonic etc.
I'm pretty much convinced it's not the psu itself. It may not be a Seasonic but it is well made with quality components (having opened it up & investigated what's inside).
I took on board your advice and now have 6 power cables each with 2 drives. All seems ok at the moment and has survived both long smart tests and scrub.
If I get another drop out I'll get a Seasonic.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm pretty much convinced it's not the psu itself. It may not be a Seasonic but it is well made with quality components (having opened it up & investigated what's inside).
I took on board your advice and now have 6 power cables each with 2 drives. All seems ok at the moment and has survived both long smart tests and scrub.
If I get another drop out I'll get a Seasonic.

All models have bad samples. Just the other day, I had a Seasonic G-550 wreak havoc on my carefully-planned server transition. Fortunately, everything else seems to have survived.

Never, ever assume the PSU is working, always test it in a different system or try a different PSU.

Stux

MVP
All models have bad samples.

Never, ever assume the PSU is working, always test it in a different system or try a different PSU.

Wish I had followed this advise a few times in the past :)

Green750one

Dabbler
Quick update. Since I changed the cable layout to my drives everything is looking good. I was lucky to get half a day before a drive dropped before.
Not counting chickens just yet, but properly balanced power distribution seems to be the solution.

CraigD

Patron
I would avoid touching cables just in case

You must be relieved

Green750one

Dabbler
I would avoid touching cables just in case

You must be relieved
I'm not sure I completely trust it just yet so I'll see how it goes over the next few scrub cycles before I put the case screws back on!

Green750one

Dabbler
7 1/2 days and all drives still connected! Problem solved - don't overload power cables!

Status
Not open for further replies.