Constant Pool activity during idle (zfs_txg_timeout)

Kampix

Cadet
Hello,

I switched from OMV to TrueNAS some time ago and noticed quite quickly that my HDD makes noises every few seconds.
So I spent some time searching for the cause and came across to the "variable" "zfs_txt_timeout".
By default there is a time of 5 seconds in there, which also matches the time of the accesses to the HDD. If I now change this time, the cycle of the accesses and thus the noise of the HDD also changes.

Since the NAS is located in my living room, I would like to avoid these noises and preferably turn them off completely when the NAS is in idle. Since I do not know exactly what this variable is for, I would like to know from you whether it can be changed without problems, or whether these accesses can be turned off completely. I am open for all possible suggestions.

NugentS

MVP
The system dataset, by default on the first Pool you create, is probably the cause. Move that to an SSD. Don't mess with zfs_txt_timeout
As you didn't post your hardware (as per forum rules) there isn't much more I can suggest

Kampix

Cadet
The system dataset, by default on the first Pool you create, is probably the cause. Move that to an SSD. Don't mess with zfs_txt_timeout
As you didn't post your hardware (as per forum rules) there isn't much more I can suggest
Thanks for the quick reply.
Sorry, I had actually just forgotten with the system, so here again the data to my system:

Mainboard: ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 ITX
CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G6405 CPU @ 4.10GHz
RAM: Crucial CL22 3200 MHz DDR4 16GB
Boot SSD: 128GB Patriot P300 M.2
HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB
System: TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3

Regarding the system dataset, I initially also thought that the problem could be related to this, however, I had already pushed this to the boot SSD and the problem is still present. Every few Seconds (in the cycle of "zfs_txg_timeout") the HDD LED flashes and the hard disk makes a short noise.

NugentS

MVP
Then you would appear to have something writing to the HDD's

Try zpool iostat -v 1 to watch what happens

Kampix

Cadet
Thanks for your help.

I found out, that while the app pool is set to my HDD, the described "problems" appear.
So I changed the App Pool to a SSD an the Noises are gone.

NugentS

MVP
That would make sense - the ix-applications dataset seems to be busy by design

dreg35

Cadet
Thanks for your help.

I found out, that while the app pool is set to my HDD, the described "problems" appear.
So I changed the App Pool to a SSD an the Noises are gone.
Quick question, how did you change your App Pool?