Console messages no longer showing on Pop-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveY

Contributor
Hi, I can't seem to see console messages in the pop-up screen anymore. The message seems fine in the footer area, but when I click on it, the window pops up and doesn't display anything. This used to work for me, but broke in the last few days. I attached a screenshot. Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• noconsolemsg.png
    noconsolemsg.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 248

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Hi, I can't seem to see console messages in the pop-up screen anymore. The message seems fine in the footer area, but when I click on it, the window pops up and doesn't display anything. This used to work for me, but broke in the last few days. I attached a screenshot. Any ideas?

Thanks
Yeah, that occasionally happens to me. I have no idea what causes it. You'll (probably) find it randomly starts working again the next day or whatever.

Not sure what causes it; I don't even understand the where's and why's enough to file a proper bug report on it.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, the GUI's console is rather flaky. Not sure what's planned in that department for FreeNAS 10, but I imagine this kind of thing is painful to deal with.

DaveY

Contributor
Well that sucks. I tried restarting just about everything and nothing helped. Finally rebooted the server an it fixed it. Unfortunately, rebooting every time to fix something like this is just not practical in a production environment.

Surely there's an easier way??

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well that sucks. I tried restarting just about everything and nothing helped. Finally rebooted the server an it fixed it. Unfortunately, rebooting every time to fix something like this is just not practical in a production environment.

Surely there's an easier way??
Sir,

There appears no discernable rhyme or reason to it. It sometimes works, sometimes not, for me. I have no way of predicting it.

You might try clearing your browser's cache, and if you REALLY want to see the messages, just go to the shell, and
Code:
cat /var/log/messages

danno

Dabbler
It's a bit anecdotal, but after encountering this same problem, I did some trouble-shooting and believe it *may* have been introduced with one of the recent updates to the FreeNAS 9.3 trains (I subscribe to the "STABLE" train). After installing an update at the beginning of April, I found the console log would not pop-up from the web GUI footer any longer (just displays "Loading....", along with the "Stop Refresh" checkbox). I use Firefox (latest version), and normally when I encounter such problems, a refresh of the FreeNAS page/tab will get the console log pop-up going again. But, that was not true after the update was applied - I also tried some things suggested in other FreeNAS / Linux posts (restarting the console log service, etc) without luck.

It was when, after trying a reboot of the FreeNAS still didn't resolve the problem, I reverted back to the prior boot environment (201503270027) and that restored functionality of the console log pop-up. I haven't had any issues since then (it's been a few weeks). I find the scrollable pop-up feature very convenient and valuable....it helped recently in trouble-shooting a failing hard drive that wasn't initially evident from the S.M.A.R.T. output, and is easier to quickly navigate compared to shell commands with the MORE pipe (or redirecting output to a file).

JJT211

Patron
^^ Nah, it's been doing that with mine for a while now. The only thing that really fixes it for me is a reboot.

danno

Dabbler
You might have luck just refreshing your browser session instead of rebooting. A few more weeks have past since my last post, and I have not had to reboot a single time for the console pop-up issue (still running with FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027).

JJT211

Patron
Its just something I noticed. I dont actually reboot my server just because of the console messages or I'd be rebooting it a few times a day. The browser refresh works every now and then

DaveY

Contributor
Think I finally found the solution. for 9.3 and later, restarting django as well as nginx fixes it for me.

Code:
 $ service nginx restart
 $ service django restart

Hisma

Explorer
any resolution for this? restarting nginx & django didn't fix it for me. Like others I have to reboot to bring it back up. It's obviously not a necessity but it's annoying that it used to work and now is very unreliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.