Connection refused by server

Status
Not open for further replies.

rock.theory

Cadet
I was trying to get syslog working, and intentionally using a wrong username/password so it would trigger an entry into syslog. I suppose there is now some sort of IP-ban against my local machine. After hours of trying to find where the IP-ban would be stored, I am at a loss and cannot access my FTP with proper credentials. Any thoughts? Thanks.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Actually, there is a known bug. If you make a syslog dataset in your pool, the FTP service will fail to (re)start, unless you do some serious command-line hacking, and no one can use ftp. (sftp is fine).

If you search for it in the forum you'll find it.

rock.theory

Cadet
Oh! I appreciate the help! I'm surprised I haven't come across that after all the google-ing I've done. Think it will fix if I remove the dataset?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Removing the dataset will prove harder than you think. You will see in several places in the forum where people have this problem and how they resolved it.

For example, you might start here.

rock.theory

Cadet
Yes, so I've been seeing. I've attempted those methods but have had nothing but issues. I may just rebuild my FreeNAS image. It's a shame, I just want a way to view my user activities, and there seems to be no way to do so. I wonder if I can preserve my data through the reformat.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Certainly you can do that. Just take the pool offline, rebuild your FreeNAS, and import the pool. Surely there are tutorials on this (I've not done it myself).

rock.theory

Cadet
Once again, I appreciate your assistance. I'm fairly new to using FreeNAS, so every bit helps!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Same here bro. My FreeNAS has been serving my house for precisely two weeks. :)

rock.theory

Cadet
Nice. Do you happen to know of any way to see a user log? (i.e. when they connect, what file(s) they upload/download, etc)

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well the ssh daemon would definitely keep that information somewhere. You could set it up.

Yeah, look at this thread.

warri

Guru
If you want to change log file(s) and log levels for FTP, you can do so in the "Auxiliary parameters" field. FreeNAS is running proftpd internally, see this article on how to configure logging.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
right right Warri's right. I gave you information about ssh/sftp, not ftp.

Status
Not open for further replies.