SOLVED Connection constantly dropping and 90%+ packet loss

viliom1

Cadet
Hi,
This is my first time trying to configure a trueNAS, but whatever I do, I can't connect to web UI and when pinging my NAS I get timeouts or unreachable, or a reply ?!
1638651526276.png

I've tried to use static IP and DHCP, but in the case of DHCP I always get "No DHCPOFFERS received".
When I ping my default gateway 192.168.0.1 from the truenas I get the same weird behavior as pinging shown above.

ifconfig shows correct MAC under ether, correct IP (192.168.0.152) and netmask (24) under inet and status is active

Steps done are:
-Installed trueNAS 12.0 (also done same stuff with freeNAS 11.2) iso on usb stick
-Load the os and install on separate usb stick
-Installation goes fine
-NAS loads and points to 0.0.0.0
-Configure network interface
--IPv4 re0 192.168.0.152/24
-Configure Default route
--IPv4 re0 192.168.0.1
-Configure DNS

I am connected via ethernet to router (TP-LINK Archer 60 v3.0)
LAN was working fine under windows, cable too ( i've changed multiple cables and tested on other pc's )
I've noticed that in my routers web gui I can see the truenas client constantly appearing and disappearing in my clients list.

HW
MB: GA-A320M-DS2
CPU: AMD A12-9800
RAM:1x8GB
NIC: onboard re0
HDD: 1x2TB NAS HDD

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Cool n' Quiet and C6 states are messing with TN, so disabling them in UEFI was the solution.

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
Do you have an Intel (or similar) NIC you could try instead of the onboard one. TN has limited support for non mainline network cards and you are using a crappy Realtek. You might have better luck with TrueNAS Scale which has better support for other NICs - but Scale not as polished as TN Core yet. It depends on your use case
I also note that you have very limited PCIe availability but assume that the X16 is available and that you are using the onboard graphics.

Lastly 1*2TB HDD as your only HDD. What are you booting from and why are you using TN with a single HDD. (If you are just pre-testing then question is withdrawn). However with 1 HDD and no ECC then you are bypassing all the TN /ZFS advantages.

Be careful with AMD CPU's. There are some specific tweaks in the BIOS that are required. I don't use AMD in TN, so not sure what they are, but I understand they are important

joeschmuck

Old Man
Also ensure the motherboard BIOS is up to date, I check the Gigabyte site and there have been a number of updates (original+14) for this board.

If the BIOS updates fail, swap out the Ethernet cable and lastly, reinstall FreeNAS 11.3-U6 and use the default of DHCP. If your DHCP server is setup properly then you should get a proper IP and route settings. Provide screen shots of the system once booted, it should provide you with the IP address. Next provide the full output of "ifconfig" and it might be better to use a terminal program like Putty to get the data as it could be more than one screen of data. Also provide a copy of the dmesg.today log file located at "/var/log". This will tell us hopefully any key problems you are having. Please do not snip out any data, none of it is sensitive if you have not configured the system beyond just installing it.

Also, describe your physical network makeup, how are things connected?

And I will echo my friends comments... Your configuration is below the recommended specs to run FreeNAS/TrueNAS, with that said you should be able to evaluate some of the features using a boot drive and a single data drive and the small amount of RAM but realize that performance is going to be very poor. But to test out the basics, it should work.

viliom1

Cadet
use a terminal program like Putty
I 'd love to connect thru SSH, but the poor connection is holding me back.
Do you have an Intel (or similar) NIC
No, I use spare parts lying around and just doing a personal project, nothing critical, thus the low performance setup.
I also note that you have very limited PCIe availability but assume that the X16 is available and that you are using the onboard graphics.
That is true.

Just to clarify, this is not work related, nor critical data will be stored. I just want to mess around with the NAS and explore the possibilities.
I am currently installing the trueNAS Scale. Will update when it's done, hopefully with good news :)
Also, describe your physical network makeup, how are things connected?
I've connected my nas directly to the router's LAN, where my other 2 pcs are connected. Router model is TP-LINK Archer 60 v3.0

NugentS

MVP
Please keep us updated. I would love to hear that the NIC works find under scale which would prove a point

viliom1

Cadet
Please keep us updated. I would love to hear that the NIC works find under scale which would prove a point
Sadly, the behavior is persistent in scale... which would mean that my that there is something wrong with my NIC ?
I still can't connect using DHCP and static IP results in dropping my connection :(

joeschmuck

Old Man
What about the BIOS on the motherboard? Is it current?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
You have a Ryzen board. Try disabling Cool-n-Quiet and C6 states in the UEFI BIOS.
Also, from the console shell (option 9), try midclt call tunable.create '{"var": "if_re_load", "value": "YES", "type": "LOADER", "enabled": true}' and then rebooting to try a more recent Realtek driver than the one compiled into the kernel.

NugentS

MVP
If what @Samuel Tai says doesn't work then you will need to get a better NIC. An Intel Server NIC from ebay should be easy. Just make sure you buy from a system dismantler and not a random chinese seller. Post here before you actually buy if you want so we can check you are getting the right thing

viliom1

Cadet
You have a Ryzen board. Try disabling Cool-n-Quiet and C6 states in the UEFI BIOS.
Also, from the console shell (option 9), try midclt call tunable.create '{"var": "if_re_load", "value": "YES", "type": "LOADER", "enabled": true}' and then rebooting to try a more recent Realtek driver than the one compiled into the kernel.
Will try this when I am back from work ! Will post updates
If what @Samuel Tai says doesn't work then you will need to get a better NIC. An Intel Server NIC from ebay should be easy. Just make sure you buy from a system dismantler and not a random chinese seller. Post here before you actually buy if you want so we can check you are getting the right thing
This would be my next step, but I really hope I can skip this

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Note, my advice is for Core. I don't know if it will work for Scale.

viliom1

Cadet
Hey, great news !
After disabling Cool-n-Quiet and C6 states in the UEFI, DHCP started working out of the box on scale, core and freeNAS 11.2 ( I had flashdrives with already installed, and was curios if this was the general issue).
I can finally start exploring!
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND SUGGESTIONS !!!