Connect truenas directly to computer, and be able to run it on network again

Nathrexeio

Cadet
I am trying to connect directly to my truenas server, it has an ethernet port so I attached an ethernet cable to that and my computer but was unable through different attempts to work SMB share directly, this was to imrpove performance from 10mb to hopfully atleast of 40, the hardrive is acable of doing over 100 mb per second.

Arwen

MVP
Without your network hardware and it's configuration, on both your TrueNAS server and client, we can't help.

Also, it would help if you used clearer terminology for speed. Network uses bits per second and disks use bytes per second. Here is a helpful way we try and clarify these things:
Terminology and Abbreviations Primer

Nathrexeio

Cadet
How would I go about getting my network hardware and its configuration? The speeds are reconized from windows explorer copying files from the computer to the drive or the computer through truenas using SMB The units should be the same but windows decides to use MB where it shouldn't :/

Arwen

MVP
If one or both sides is using DHCP, you may have problems. If you use static IPs on both sides but different sub-nets, it won't work without routing / router.

As for getting the hardware configuration, I don't know MS-Windows that well. I think you can use something like "ipconfig /all" from the command line. That should give most of the configuration for the MS-Windows side. On TrueNAS, use "ifconfig -a" for the main configuration and "netstat -rn" for the router configuration.

On the hardware side, I don't know without researching the commands.

Nathrexeio

Cadet
1667421209383.png

1667421353052.png

1667421369380.png

Here is the network configurations

Arwen

MVP
Well, it looks like they have the 192.168.1.0/24 sub-net in common. However, the MS-Windows box is using DHCP which may cause it's IP to disappear when dis-connected from the main network.

Make sure when you perform the direct connect, you use the NAS IP of 192.168.1.2 because the other, 10.0.10.2, won't be available.

Trouble shooting this type of thing remotely can be hard because somethings are straight forward to me, but I may miss a step explaining it.

Perhaps someone else can help.