connect/share folders between 2 FreeNAS machine? possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Hi

Looking to connect/share two FreeNAS machines with each other. Not looking to create a VM/replication or duplication.
How can I mount a folder on freenas1 from freenas2?
I've tried NFS but it is buggy/faulty:
RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

I am open to other ways, any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It's not really supported. What exactly are you trying to do?

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
Basically I have plex (or any application) in a jail on FN#1... I want that jail to have access to FN#1 and FN#2 files. Such a basic thing :/ the only way I know is to mount a nfs/cifs drive. Funny thing is I can actually do this with CIFS (mount a windows share on FN#1). If anything I would have thought FreeNAS to FreeNAS fileshare would be super simple.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
basically i have plex(or any application) in a jail on FN#1...i want that jail to have access to FN#1 and FN#2 files. such a basic thing :/ the only way i know is to mount a nfs/cifs drive. Funny thing is i can actually do this with cifs (mount a windows share on FN#1). If anything i would of thought freenas to freenas fileshare would be super simple
Sorry to say that is not something FreeNAS natively does. Ideally you just store all your data on a single system. Can you just move the drives into the same box?

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
arg headache...can't wait for docker...eventually when FreeNAS 11.1 gets released.

garm

Wizard
What does docker solve in your scenario? FreeNAS as a hypervisor isn’t really ideal, sure if all your data is on it anyway you can run a few vm’s and jails. But for you it sounds like services are on one machine and data on another. In that case look for something like Proxmox

JibbaJabba

Dabbler
What does docker solve in your scenario? FreeNAS as a hypervisor isn’t really ideal, sure if all your data is on it anyway you can run a few vm’s and jails. But for you it sounds like services are on one machine and data on another. In that case look for something like Proxmox

VM takes up unnecessary resources and space. Jails are dumb, i cant mount a nfs or cifs folder. Docker allows me connect to external storage like vm's but not all the bloat.
Im talking about 2 x 40tb freenas systems. yes id love to afford 16 x 10tb drives...but cant. Not being able to use external sources is dumb, especially if they both freenas machines.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Docker allows me connect to external storage like vm's but not all the bloat.
Except that Docker runs in a VM...

i cant mount a nfs or cifs folder. [in a jail]
Sure you can, it's just rarely a good solution to any problem. You just need to research how to do so inside a jail.

yes id love to afford 16 x 10tb drives
It has nothing to do with hard drives, there isn't a magical limit that's artificially forcing you to have two FreeNAS servers.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
VM takes up unnecessary resources and space. Jails are dumb, i cant mount a nfs or cifs folder. Docker allows me connect to external storage like vm's but not all the bloat.
Im talking about 2 x 40tb freenas systems. yes id love to afford 16 x 10tb drives...but cant. Not being able to use external sources is dumb, especially if they both freenas machines.
I don't think you understand how things work. Docker will not solve your problems. Docker on FreeNAS will just be running a Linux vm then running docker containers inside that VM. So saying vms are dumb it's kind of going against docker. You don't have to wait until 11.1 to set it up either, just make your own VM and install docker.

Status
Not open for further replies.