Connect external TrueNAS Systems to TrueCommand?

Starion87

Cadet
Hello,

what ist the correct way to connect a truenas-system behind a firewall to an truecommand behind another firewall?
i like to have the following setup: remote truenas servers on prem, truecommand central, but no VPN connection between them.

Thanks,
Thomas

Jaron

iX IT Mgr
Administrator
iXsystems
IMO the correct way would be to setup a VPN between endpoints.
However if this is not possible or ideal you could open and forward port 443 on the firewall on the NAS side to the NAS from the TrueCommand IP only.
Another Option would be to look at our Upcoming TrueCommand Cloud service which is designed for exactly this use case and handles automatically creating the necessary vpn connections between the NAS and the Cloud instance to secure communications to all your NAS devices. This should be available in the near future.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
Yeah I was trying to set up TrueCommand to control all of the instances across all my sites, which are definitely not VPN-connected. I already have a host able to do the needful, but the TrueCommand interface (indeed, the TrueNAS interface coming from the other direction) does not apparently have any way to do this.
There is a checkbox for "Externally Configured" when adding a new system by hand, but this does not seem to do anything at the moment besides disable the "Password/API key" fields.

I suppose the need for VPN is because TrueCommand can only issue requests to NAS appliances and does not really expect them to connect back in, so a reverse-connection model just isn't in the cards.

That being said, I'm wondering if there's a wireguard tutorial that can get the rest of the way there. Failing that, I guess another entry in my subscriptions budget will be in order...