Confusion about jail, users, network ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarchdodra

Explorer
So first question:
I installed my jail (named "warden") as in the instructions. I gave it an ip (192.168.1.203). I set my primary DNS nameserver before creating it. My question is:
If I ssh into the jail (eg ssh 192.168.1.203), am I supposed to be "inside" the jail, as if it was a completely different computer? Because I just end up inside my NAS...

Second question:
I installed transmission, I can start the web service, but when I try to download from a torrent, it doesn't work. I get this in my jail/var/log/messages:
May 5 15:23:10 warden transmission-daemon[77447]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: No buffer space available (tr-udp.c:56)
May 5 15:23:10 warden transmission-daemon[77447]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: No buffer space available (tr-udp.c:62)
May 5 15:23:10 warden transmission-daemon[77447]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 42080 (tr-udp.c:75)
May 5 15:23:10 warden transmission-daemon[77447]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 9216 (tr-udp.c:86)
May 5 15:33:46 warden transmission-daemon[77447]: ubuntu-12.04-server-amd64.iso Tracker error: "Connection failed" (torrent.c:531)

Third question:
The minidlna instructions say I should "chown -R dlna:dlna /var/db/dlna". However, this fails, because I have no dlna user. Is this normal? Was I supposed to create one myself? I just ended up chmod-777-ing it.
Also, the user actually running (using top) minidlna is my first user created user (user 1001). Files created by mnidlna are owned by that user for some weird reason, with the group nobody. wtf?
As for transmission, it is being run by my second user created user (1002)... Files are created by that user, with my "group2", an secondary group for that user.

I am seeing too many strange things... but am not sure what went wrong where. HELP!

ProtoSD

MVP
I'm just waking up, so this is my short answer. If you don't have ssh installed in your jail, then your NAS will answer using the alias IP and all of your subsequent commands will take place in FreeNAS, not inside the jail. That is of course assuming you have SSH enabled in FreeNAS. To use ssh in the jail, you'll need to install it and enable/configure it manually from the command line.

ProtoSD

MVP
The third issue is related to the first, so once you're inside the jail that should work. You shouldn't need to create the dlna user, the plugin does that for you.

The second issue I can't help you with, I don't use Transmission and I don't recognize anything that gives me a clue at the moment.

oh, yeah, using "jexec" from a "shell" opened from the GUI is much simpler than setting up ssh for the jail. ;)

paleoN

Wizard
So first question:
Third question:
The minidlna instructions say I should "chown -R dlna:dlna /var/db/dlna". However, this fails, because I have no dlna user. Is this normal? Was I supposed to create one myself? I just ended up chmod-777-ing it.
Also, the user actually running (using top) minidlna is my first user created user (user 1001). Files created by mnidlna are owned by that user for some weird reason, with the group nobody. wtf?
You need to run "chown -R dlna:dlna /var/db/dlna" inside the jail. The dlna user doesn't exist outside of it. The files are owned by your first user because there is a UID collision with the dlna user inside the jail, it also has a UID of 1001.
As for transmission, it is being run by my second user created user (1002)... Files are created by that user, with my "group2", an secondary group for that user.
Once again UID/GID collision inside to outside the jail. "group2" will have the same GID as the transmission group inside the jail.

monarchdodra

Explorer
Once again UID/GID collision inside to outside the jail. "group2" will have the same GID as the transmission group inside the jail.

That makes sense. But how do I go about "fixing" it: Having the plugins executed by another user (specified by me)?

ppmax

Contributor
Hello--im a noob, fist post, etc...

I did a quick search and found this thread about how to change the perms on the dlna directory above. however, when I use the Shell and try to change the perms, I don't see a directory for /var/db/dlna

Is this referring to the root of the jail dir or the root of the system?

if it's referring to the root of the jail, I don't see any /var dir at all...

I have installed the pbi for minidln and have tried to start the service but it doesn't start...no error messages, nothing.

thx
PP

ppmax

Contributor
Hello--im a noob, fist post, etc...

I did a quick search and found this thread about how to change the perms on the dlna directory above. however, when I use the Shell and try to change the perms, I don't see a directory for /var/db/dlna

Is this referring to the root of the jail dir or the root of the system?

if it's referring to the root of the jail, I don't see any /var dir at all...

I have installed the pbi for minidln and have tried to start the service but it doesn't start...no error messages, nothing.

thx
PP

Argh--stoopid noob! Problem solved. I now understand jails ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.