Confused about network GUI

atakacs

Explorer
Hi

I'm probably missing something obvious but bear with me...

In my network summary I see this

Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 11.44.54.png

while clicking on EDIT for bnxt0 I get this

Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 11.45.38.png

I would have expected to see the statically defined IP(s) ? Is this the expected behaviour ? If so how do I go about editing my network settings ?

LarsR

Guru
In your attached second screenshot the dhcp box is checked, so you're not using a static ip.

If you want to use a static ip uncheck dhcp and add your desired address in the "IP Addresses" field

atakacs

Explorer
Hmm this is rather confusing.

I am absolutely certain bnxt0 does not use DHCP.

It might, despite my explicit settings, try to use DHCP but there is absolutely nothing that would provide such a service on that network segment. So I have no idea how those - are there are two, including this strange 0.0.0.0/8 - IP have been assigned.

In any case I want to setup a static, single, IP.

I go into “edit” and enter said IP. Then when I go to apply I have to go the “testing” step. There I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do (in terms of UX, I guess it is about checking that the settings are actually working, but how do I actually confirm it to the UX ??) but the setting revert to this nonsensical non-existant DHCP.

Also it would seem that it is an “all or nothing” deal - all network settings are being changed, regardless if I had changed anything in the UX (bnxt1 is also affacted, despite not doing any input there).

All in all I find this whole thing puzzling, possibly buggy and, to my untrained eyes, incomprehensible. This being release 8 I guess it muss be actually working as designed but I just can’t comprehend how it is supposed to behave.

Also where are the actual config files ? Being FreeBSD based I would have thought /etc/rc.conf but it does not seem the case ?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
After your changes you click on "Test". The settings are applied. If you are able to (re-)connect to your TrueNAS within 60 seconds, you can click on "Save". Then the changes are permanent.

That's an attempt to save you from locking yourself out of UI access.

There are no config files for you to edit, because TrueNAS keeps all configuration in an SQLite database and configures the entire system dynamically on startup. It's an appliance, not a FreeBSD server. You probably do want to be able to save your complete config and import it on a new system, for example.