Configuring WiFi in TrueNAS Scale 21.08 BETA 2 (where to add username and password)

carlitos009

Dabbler
I have 2 Synology NAS units which I backup (one to the other) with rsync. I also have a basic TrueNAS scale box which I also use with rsync. 3 copies plus the original data in devices (PC's, laptops, phones and tablets).

I want to create a not so critical 4th copy on a secondary remote location. I am encrypting the data on the client side so there is little risk to the data at the remote location.

Since it is not critical but I like to test TrueNAS scale (different type of machine) on a remote location (must use WiFi or I will not be able to use the location) I like to know if anyone can guide me on how to configure it. I can't find how to in documentation. If anyone can help me find it or guide me it will be appreciated.

I have read plenty of comments saying that WiFi should not be used. I understand that and I am using my first box with gigabit Ethernet and I have a few TBs of data backed up. I intend to do the first backup local to my test NAS (M72e) then relink to the rsync job once it is on location. I have both locations connected with a peer-to-peer vpn so when they reconnect I will only do incremental backups. Again, just testing the ability of TrueNAS (21.08 BETA-2) to do so via WiFi.

Just FYI I do have a compatible wifi adapter which is listed as wlx34e894dda9cc (the internal card is not listed) but I can't configure it.

I see in the documentation under network nothing on how to enter the user name and password for the wifi network.

Any help will be appreciated

I don't believe wifi is supported in either CORE or SCALE. Too many chipsets and adapters to support to maintain drivers. Dedicated open source projects like OpenWrt and DD-WRT have enough trouble keeping up with standards, chipsets, and continuously fixing bugs/vulnerabilities.

Consider a pair of Ethernet over Power adapters.

Or buy a Wifi AP and create an Ethernet bridge to your primary Wifi.

Last edited:

carlitos009

Dabbler
I don't believe wifi is supported in either CORE or SCALE. Too many chipsets and adapters to support to maintain drivers. Dedicated open source projects like OpenWrt and DD-WRT have enough trouble keeping up with standards, chipsets, and continuously fixing bugs/vulnerabilities.

Consider a pair of Ethernet over Power adapters.

Or buy a Wifi AP and create an Ethernet bridge to your primary Wifi.

Thank you for the reply. I wish/hope that the documentation was more clear and direct and just said "NO/NOT SUPPORTED". I have been reading forums with people asking similar questions.

It was my original plan to use one of my dd wrt routers as a bridge (2 or 3 around before I went the Unifi way) if there was no other way but I think I will have to do that for sure.

Thank you again.