Configuration page

sam.o

Cadet
I have an issue where I can’t access the website that the NAS shows on the monitor when not connected to my home WiFi. Is this normal or is this a glitch? Let me know

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

sam.o

Cadet
As opposed to an Ethernet cable to the same network? Or something else?
I have two networks: my normal home network and the powerline network where the NAS is connected to
I can access it when I’m connected to both of the networks but not when I’m on school WiFi nor 4G/5G

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I should hope not, that would be quite the nightmare.

Your NAS is on your LAN, emphasis on "your". It is not intended to be readily accessible over the internet. Even if it were accessible, it would certainly not be accessible over its private IP address.

Accessing your server over the internet is a can of worms you're not ready for before you've studied the fundamentals of networking and understand how to accomplish it, how to minimize your exposure to threats on the internet and generally the sorts of things to avoid.

chuck32

Guru
If you need access outside your home network use a VPN, that should not introduce security concerns, or at least close to zero.

If you decided you need outside access and want to use a VPN, there are multiple good solutions. Personally I'm a huge fan of wireguard and then there's also tail scale (based on the wireguard protocol). There are other good solutions as well.

Please put in time and effort into gaining knowledge about your VPN solution before opening any ports on your router.

sam.o

Cadet
I should hope not, that would be quite the nightmare.

Your NAS is on your LAN, emphasis on "your". It is not intended to be readily accessible over the internet. Even if it were accessible, it would certainly not be accessible over its private IP address.

Accessing your server over the internet is a can of worms you're not ready for before you've studied the fundamentals of networking and understand how to accomplish it, how to minimize your exposure to threats on the internet and generally the sorts of things to avoid.
Oh ok. I thought the config page was remote control. Thanks for the help!

sam.o

Cadet
If you need access outside your home network use a VPN, that should not introduce security concerns, or at least close to zero.

If you decided you need outside access and want to use a VPN, there are multiple good solutions. Personally I'm a huge fan of wireguard and then there's also tail scale (based on the wireguard protocol). There are other good solutions as well.

Please put in time and effort into gaining knowledge about your VPN solution before opening any ports on your router.
Are there any good free VPN’s

chuck32

Guru
I suggested two solutions: Wireguard and tail scale, they are free (tail scale has paid options but this only applies to multiple users)

danb35

Hall of Famer
...and just to be clear, Chuck isn't suggesting a public VPN like NordVPN or SurfShark--those wouldn't do anything to help you. He's instead suggesting that you host your own VPN (wireguard, or I'd also suggest OpenVPN), or use a service like Tailscale to manage your VPN, in order to give you secure remote access to your network.

You need to understand that you're exposing your data to significant risk when you put it on the Internet. A VPN can mitigate a lot of that risk, but you really need to understand what you're doing.

sam.o

Cadet
...and just to be clear, Chuck isn't suggesting a public VPN like NordVPN or SurfShark--those wouldn't do anything to help you. He's instead suggesting that you host your own VPN (wireguard, or I'd also suggest OpenVPN), or use a service like Tailscale to manage your VPN, in order to give you secure remote access to your network.

You need to understand that you're exposing your data to significant risk when you put it on the Internet. A VPN can mitigate a lot of that risk, but you really need to understand what you're doing.
I think the risk of me doing something wrong with the VPN is not worth the advantage of the remote control system. So I’m just gonna keep everything like it is

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
And there's no shame in that, this is one of those areas where the damage potential of getting things wrong can be significant.