SOLVED Configuration and installation of a home NAS via IPMI

Vortigern

Dabbler
Dear All,
I've just selected the hardware for a home NAS and I will be using a Supermicro X12STL-IF with IPMI 2.0. The question is:
  • Can I configure the NAS, with IPMI, and install TrueNAS without ever (not even once) plugging-in a monitor?
I'm asking this because I will have physical access to the NAS, so I can connect a USB stick as install medium, but I haven't got any screen with a VGA port so I would like to avoid buying a VGA-to-HDMI(or DP) adapter for a single use. This actually means I need to configure also the BIOS setting for the very first time without a monitor and I'm not sure this is even possible. A guide on how to achieve this would be very useful.

Thanks in advance for your support,
Vortigern

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I believe the IPMI port on a new-in-box Supermicro system will default to DHCP. If yours does, you can pick up the IP address from your home router/DHCP server, sign in using the default credentials, and never have to connect a monitor. You can even mount the TrueNAS installer ISO remotely.

However, if you are purchasing the equipment secondhand and it has a static IP set for IPMI, you'll either have to find an IPMI reset jumper on the board, or use a monitor. There isn't a VGA monitor you can borrow from a friend, or even pick one up for a pittance from a local sale group, Craigslist/etc? (An old LCD - VGA CRTs are back in vogue among retro gaming enthusiasts it seems.)

WN1X

Explorer
I believe the IPMI port on a new-in-box Supermicro system will default to DHCP. If yours does, you can pick up the IP address from your home router/DHCP server, sign in using the default credentials, and never have to connect a monitor. You can even mount the TrueNAS installer ISO remotely.

Correct. My NAS initial setup used the IPMI...motherboard is SuperMicro X11SCL-F.

Vortigern

Dabbler
Dear WN1X and HoneyBadger,
thanks a lot for your fast replies. Unfortunately I might not have access to a VGA monitor: worst case I'll buy an adapter cable but since I will buy new equipment I will first give it a shot with IPMI. It should be no problem to access if the ethernet is set to DHCP by default (my router is set in DHCP as well and I can reserve IP address for that MAC). Do you know any good tutorial/guide to follow for the IPMI setup or is the Supermicro BMC IPMI BMC IPMI User's Guide 1.1b the best option?

Cheers

WN1X

Explorer
Yes, the default config for the IPMI is to use DHCP. And reserving an IP via MAC address is the best way to go. I recall someone else on this forum having issues when they configured the BMC to use a static IP address.

My primary desktop system is running MacOS, so getting IPMITool to work may be different for you. I believe I followed Running SuperMicro IPMIView on MacOS to get it working.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Do you know any good tutorial/guide to follow for the IPMI setup
I don't think there's much to use a guide for. Browse to the IP of the IPMI interface, log in with the appropriate username/password (Supermicro used to default to ADMIN/ADMIN, but I seem to recall hearing that's changed), and then find the virtual console. With the X9 boards, that option was called Console Redirection. You should get a window that represents the screen of that system, and you can go from there. I don't see any reason to install IPMIView.

Etorix

Wizard
Do you know any good tutorial/guide to follow for the IPMI setup or is the Supermicro BMC IPMI BMC IPMI User's Guide 1.1b the best option?
Not even, since it covers ASPEED 2400 and 2500 but not the newest 2600.
ServeTheHome might have something, but my experience with the 2500 is that you can just log in and explore. It's pretty self-explanatory and there's not much to change in there (e.g. setting fixed IP, if you're not doing that with the DHCP server). You're mostly interested in the web console to set the BIOS and install TrueNAS.

WN1X

Explorer
I don't think there's much to use a guide for. Browse to the IP of the IPMI interface, log in with the appropriate username/password (Supermicro used to default to ADMIN/ADMIN, but I seem to recall hearing that's changed), and then find the virtual console. With the X9 boards, that option was called Console Redirection. You should get a window that represents the screen of that system, and you can go from there. I don't see any reason to install IPMIView.

I had to use IPMIView because the X11SCL web access works, but the web console did not from MacOS. Regardless, you won't need to connect a monitor or keyboard to get your system up and running with TrueNAS.

Vortigern

Dabbler
Unfortunately the Supermicro X12STL-IF is not available anymore and I've had to solect a different board. I've stumbled over the Asus P12R-I but I don't know if the configuration will happen in a similar way and if it is still possible to remotely configure and install the OS remotely with this board. According to the description of the ASMB10-iKVM (which I'm still trying to figure out if it's included on every board) it is supporting IPMI commands. Have you got any experience or info regarding the remote management/installation on Asus server motherboards?

Thanks in advance,
Vortigern