Completely new to home servers... Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yo, my znas is having a zhd problem. Every time I try to ztransfer something across the znetwork, the zcpu maxes out and the zhd clicks
Of those, I think I've seen ZNAS. I know I've seen others, but I don't remember any specific atrocities.

SRSR333

Dabbler
Sorry for the 'zpool', guys... I saw it somewhere and thought it'd be correct usage.

What about my questions, though?

CraigD

Patron
Call the storage in freeNAS whatever you want, it doesn't matter pool or zpool

However if you are running commands it sure does

Think "zpool status"

Havc Fun

Stux

MVP
Sorry for the 'zpool', guys... I saw it somewhere and thought it'd be correct usage.

What about my questions, though?

Sorry, I think the questions got lost :)

You can have one or more drives in each vdev. You can have one or more vdevs in each pool. You can have zero or more pools on each FreeNAS.

Each pool can have zero or more datasets. And zero or more zvols.

You are right about a pool being a logical block of storage, which you don't partition.

You can't share vdevs amongst pools, but you can actually partition a drive and then make different vdevs out of different partitions, and those different vdevs could belong to different pools.

So for example, you might have an ssd only pool for high performance storage. Then you might partition your disks into faster outer region storage and slower inner region, and then use the outer sections to make a multiple mirrored vdevs (similar to RAID10) all striped in a pool, and the inner section to make a slower raidz2, which is similar to Raid6.

Your then end up with 3 pools.

You might make a dataset on your slow pool for media. You might make another dataset for TimeMachine backups with a quota specified.

Zvols provide virtual block storage, a bit like a disk image, which you can use to implement virtual block storage devices over iscsi, where as datasets are virtual file systems.

Clear as mud?[/QUOTE]

VladTepes

Patron
Yo, my znas is having a zhd problem. Every time I try to ztransfer something across the znetwork, the zcpu maxes out and the zhd clicks
Zont ze zo zucking zilly

SRSR333

Dabbler
Heheh.

Anyway - my parts are all on the way, and I've been thinking. Right now, the only two ways I can configure my two 3 TB drives are either

1. Use one drive each in striped vdevs, giving me maximum storage of 6 TB but no redundancy at all;

2. Use both drives in one vdev set as a mirror, but halve my storage capacity (not particularly ideal).

I intend to expand my storage capacity within the next two years, possibly by adding another drive or two.

Have you guys got any recommendations for either my current set-up, or in the near future?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can't just add a single drive. You have to add a vdev at a time, preferably the same vdev as your others.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

CraigD

Patron
1. Use one drive each in striped vdevs, giving me maximum storage of 6 TB but no redundancy at all;

2. Use both drives in one vdev set as a mirror, but halve my storage capacity (not particularly ideal).

I intend to expand my storage capacity within the next two years, possibly by adding another drive or two.

Have you guys got any recommendations for either my current set-up, or in the near future?

You should use at least a Mirror for your data pool, even better a 4 drive RAIDz2 data pool

The rest of your Amazon built looks good, you spent money buying MOSTLY recommended hardware

If you don't want redundancy, why bother?

Have Fun
EDIT: MOSTLY

Last edited:

SRSR333

Dabbler
The rest of your Amazon built looks good, you spent money buying MOSTLY recommended hardware

I suppose so... what's with the capitalised MOSTLY, though?

CraigD

Patron

Stux

MVP
Loads of people use AS Rock motherboards, but I can't see it here in the recommended hardware list maybe the guide is out of date

;)

Intel Atoms (Avoton generation)
  • The new Intel Atoms kick butt. They use ECC RAM and can be loaded with 64GB of RAM if you buy special 16GB UDIMMs.
  • The Asrock C2750D4I ($250-300 but sometimes as high as $400) is pretty popular

Stux

MVP
I do think this is a pretty cool board

ASRock Rack E3C224D4I-14S

(E3, C224, Dimms x4, IPMI, 14 SATA. heh I think I just cracked the code)

4 dimm slots, built in sas, pci slot, etc... in Mini-DTX+, they call it Extended Mini-ITX. The important thing is it can be forced into a few Mini-ITX cases...

Wish they would update it for Skylake.

Unfortunatley, its little brother only has 2 dimm slots and thus a 16GB limit, which is not so good considering it has a Haswell chip. I wonder, it'd probably work with 32GB if you found some 16GB dimms.

Status
Not open for further replies.