Comments on system build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joachim1975

Cadet
I work in a software company that mostly have its production in cloud. We currently rent a rack in a colo, where we have 3 Vmware server with 2 x e5-2690 and 256gb ram running on Supermicro CSE-826 with x9dri-ln4f and Intel X540t 10g bit nics. We run approximately 90 VM's on this servers. About 90% of these server are dev build and test servers. All source code is in cloud. Everything is backed up daily with Nakivo to an external server. Currently we are running local SSD (5x intel S4500 960gb) in raid5 on Areca 1882i controllers. But since the controllers are old we dont see so good performance on writes (no battery for cache). All servers are connected to a 10gbit Netgear xs708t that is primary, and we have fallback to a gbit Netgear switch (active/passive).

Today we are seeing high cpu on one server and low disk usage. On the other server we are seeing low cpu and almost full storage. Moving vm's around gets a bit more tricky when you have local raid.

What i have been thinking about is to build a new Freenas system with 12 of those S4500 SSD's to easier be able to use the disk space more efficient by having one large pool. The server i have on hand is a Supermicro CSE-826 with 12 bays. 2x e5-2640, 64gb ram and a dual port 10gbit intel x540t, Areca 1882I in passthrough mode. For boot i was planning on using a 16gb SSD DOM i have, and then building a raidz with 12 x Intel S4500 960gb drives and enable compression.

Do i need ZIL and SLOG?

Will i be able to achieve 500+mbyte/sec writes when using Raidz? Or do i need to mirror?

Will the Areca 1882i in passthrough mode give me equal disk visibility as a LSI 9210-8i in IT mode?

I like to use Areca since we have a good setup of monitoring raid sets, disks etc though the dedicates LAN port on the Areca controller. But if it hides information from Freenas, i would source a 9210-8i controller.

Is dedup still bad? I think our VM's would dedup great. Since they are all Windows 2016 server and most of them run the same databases and files.

Should i run ISCSI or NFS towards the Vmware hosts?

Any thoughts on the above?

Status
Not open for further replies.