Clustering a freenas SAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

grzmrc

Cadet
Hi all,
I have a Hyper-v cluster with virtual machines all stored in a iscsi target on a freenas server.
I'm concerned about a possible freenas outage/failure. I have a backup, but in the event of a failure I have to manually restore the snapshot to another freenas.

Is it possible to clusterize the freenas SAN?
Can I have 2 freenas in replica, in a failover cluster configuration?

thanks

zambanini

Patron
HAST
..yeah, that is the answer ; ) take a look at the 9.2.2 roadmap, there you will find a reference on it. but nothing you should expect soon.

grzmrc

Cadet
Thanks.
So, at this time, the only way to make an hot site into my LAN for a SAN is to buy from netapp, EMC, HP etc.?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
iXsystems sells TrueNAS which has HAST.

But yes, you'd better be ready to open that pocketbook if you want HAST. I don't know anyone that lets you do it for free. ;)

zambanini

Patron
nexenta is also an option, you will spent at least 10k for software licences for a 8tb box.

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
Or you are looking at making a freebsd box with HAST/CARP, but that wont come easy as a storage appliance like FreeNAS or Nexenta. You are in for a very hard learning curve going in that direction but maybe also the most rewarding in the long run. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zambanini

Patron
sure..he wants a HA system, and you suggest learning by doing? wow, brave! ; )

Dennis.kulmosen

Explorer
Well as everything else in life. If you want something easy for free, you need to learn how to get it (not so easy). Otherwise money is needed to get it easy (aka. buy software that can do it easy, or hire someone that allready has the knowledge.) ;-)
And with everything else, i think that learning stuff that you need and will have a value for your bussiness is very rewarding in the long run. ;-)
The HAST documentation is actually very nice, so it should be doable to get a system up and running by googling all the needed info. :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grzmrc

Cadet
Thank's for your suggestion, but unfortunately I have not much time to learn how to create a SAN on freeBSD
I'm in software Assurance with Microsoft and I can get every Microsoft server license for "free".
I'm reading about Windows 2012 r2 storage server. Do you think I'll can made a redundant Iscsi SAN with that kind of server?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Thank's for your suggestion, but unfortunately I have not much time to learn how to create a SAN on freeBSD
I'm in software Assurance with Microsoft and I can get every Microsoft server license for "free".
I'm reading about Windows 2012 r2 storage server. Do you think I'll can made a redundant Iscsi SAN with that kind of server?

This forum does not support Windows software. Please keep your questions to topics that revolve around FreeNAS.

Thanks.

grzmrc

Cadet
Ok thanks.
I search some information regarding Windows storage server. If it is not suitable for what I need, I'll buy some dedicated appliance. By now I think I'll buy a netapp FAS 2240 dual controller.
Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.