Cloud Sync Task to PULL from remote SFTP server stalls indefinitely

Hello,

My goal is to regularly backup the files of a website I manage to my local truenas server; however, despite spending the entire day checking many details, working with website hosting support and reading through forum posts, I have not been successful and it's now time to ask for help.

Custom system specs: (I know, its quite old, but still reliable!)
TrueNAS Core: TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz
Memory:
  • 11.9GiB total available (ECC)
  • Free: 0.4 GiB
  • ZFS Cache: 8.7 GiB
  • Services: 2.9 GiB
System Dataset and destination located on Pool: "HDDs-3.5in" - 4x 2TB 3.5" SATA

These are the steps I have taken
  1. Created a destination dataset to which the files will be copied -- it is empty, owned by root:wheel, and configured with 755 permissions, not read-only
  2. generated an ED25519 SSH key and added it to the authorized_keys file on the remote server
  3. successfully connected manually via ssh and sftp specifying the Identitfy File from the linux box where the keypair was generated
  4. added the ssh key to my TrueNAS via System > SSH Keypairs
  5. configured an SFTP cloud credential with the appropriate settings for the site and verified that the credential is valid using the Verify Credential button
  6. created a cloud sync task with these settings:
    • Remote:
      • Credential: (used credential created in step 4)
      • Folder: /absolute/path/to/remote/directory (obfuscated here, but I navigated to the remote directory, ran pwd and copy/pasted to avoid mistakes -- also ensured that there are is no extra whitespace chars)
    • Direction: PULL
    • Transfer Mode: COPY
    • Directory/Files: /path/to/my/local/destination/dataset (again, obfuscated, but selected using the path browser tool)
    • Schedule: Weekly (0 0 * * sun) on Sundays at 00:00 (12:00 AM)
    • Enabled: false (I don't want it to run automatically until a manual run completes successfully--I have tried with this enabled also, but same result)
    • All other settings are left as default
    • Performed a dry run which completes in a timely manner and displays all of the remote files that I expect.
When I click Run Now on the cloud sync task, it will sit indefinitely at with 0 files transferred and 0 Bytes/sec with no ETA given. I've let this sit for several hours and no progress is made. While the task is running, if I try to open a new ssh connection to the remote server, the connection fails due to a timeout. After stopping the most recent attempt, I am left with the log file below.

Log contents:
Code:
2021/09/05 16:15:52 INFO  : 
Transferred:                0 / 0 Bytes, -, 0 Bytes/s, ETA -
Elapsed time:         2.3s

2021/09/05 16:20:15 ERROR : wp-includes/SimplePie: error reading source directory: error listing "wp-includes/SimplePie": EOF
2021/09/05 16:20:52 INFO  : 
Transferred:                0 / 6.186 MBytes, 0%, 0 Bytes/s, ETA -
Errors:                 1 (retrying may help)
Transferred:            0 / 234, 0%
Elapsed time:       5m2.3s
Transferring:
 *                                     .htaccess: transferring
 *                              .htaccess.backup: transferring
 *                                   favicon.gif: transferring
 *                                   favicon.ico: transferring

I have have worked with support for the hosting provider and we confirmed that I'm able to receive files via SFTP manually on my linux box, and that we're not exceeding the maximum concurrent SSH connections per user (50) using the default of 4 simultaneous transfers. I have verified that I can manually open an sftp connection to the remote server from the root account on my truenas server using the same identity file and I am able to retrieve files which proves that there is no firewall blocking the connection. Lastly, unlike when the cloud sync task is running, I am able to login to the server on another machine without issues while the manual sftp transfer is running..

I'm about out of ideas.. and frankly its time for me to take a break from this--my forehead is getting sore from beating it against the wall lol. I am open to suggestions and I am grateful for any assistance or suggestions. Please let me know if you have questions or would like more information.

Thank you in advance

sretalla