Cloud Sync SFTP corrupted files

Crekate

Dabbler
Hello,
Recently I've setup a cloud sync task to backup my cloud storage.
I've connected to Egnyte via SFTP and I run the sync every day.

Unfortunately some files got corrupted but the sync reports success and no issues found in the logs. I just cannot open some files (error: 0xc00d36e5).
For example:
I have an .mp4 files.
I can open it in Egnyte.
I can download it from Egnyte and open it.
I cannot open it from TrueNas.
I can download it from TrueNas but I cannot open it.
When I manually copy the file from Egnyte to TrueNas the file is ok and I can open it.

I've also tried deleting the files and running the sync again. Corrupted files again. Tried it multiple times. The files have same size but not all metadata are present on TrueNas side.

Any ideas what might cause such a corruption every time?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The files have same size but not all metadata are present on TrueNas side.
Do you mean metadata that is part of the files themselves, or metadata at the filesystem level? Can/cannot open is a bit unspecific, I take it that the hashes do not match between the file as downloaded directly from the cloud service and via SFTP? What happens if you just use a normal SFTP client and get them manually?

Crekate

Dabbler
Thank you for the replay.
Here are the metadata the file has on Egnyte and when download from Egnyte:
1706885751128.png

Here are the metadata the file has in TN after sync:
1706885811519.png

When I copy the file from Egnyte to PC I can open the file - no problem.
When I copy the file manually from Egnyte to TN, I can open the file - no problem.

When I try to open the file from trueNas after sync automaticly I have following error:
1706885631996.png

The file cannot be opened.

All files (on TN, on PC and Egnyte) have the same size.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
When I copy the file from Egnyte to PC I can open the file - no problem.
When I copy the file manually from Egnyte to TN, I can open the file - no problem.
Using SFTP?

Crekate

Dabbler
Yes using SFTP.
On PC I use WinSCP

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
What is the SHA256 sum (hash) of the file when it's transferred via SFTP/cloud sync, vs when you manually download it from Egnyte to your PC and again manually from Egnyte to TN?

It would seem unusual that the use of the cloud-sync task would result in failure.

Crekate

Dabbler
Here is has for the file copied with cloud sync:
1707752733050.png
Here is from Egnyte to PC:
1707752744470.png
Here is from Egnyte to TN (manually):
1707752784274.png

The first one differs.

Crekate

Dabbler
I will test the hash, but from what I've seen, if I delete the file, sync it again via cloud sync, it will be corrupted. I've tried it multiple times, hoping that just deleting and resyncing will help, but it doesn't. I will check the hash and post the result.

Crekate

Dabbler
I finally was able to test the delete -> cloudsync hash. Here it is:
1710012325505.png

The file is still corrupted and the hash is the same as before (as the corrupted file before delete).

Any1 has any idea what to do?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Is this really SFTP or some stupid variant of FTP? I ask because some (all?) of them can be coaxed into doing stupid things like converting between character sets (which, in 2024, is somewhere between "active irritant" and "supremely useless"), which might begin to explain the problem.

Also, does the file size match?

Crekate

Dabbler
Here is the size on Egnyte:
1710146985908.png

Here is the size on TN after sync:
1710147005995.png

Here is the setup I have in TN:
1710147138711.png

The same host, port, username and password I use in WinSCP and with WinSCP the file is copied corretly.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm nearly out of ideas here. This is truly bizarre.

I think you need to narrow this down further and identify who's doing something they shouldn't be. Try using more, different clients and see which ones reproduce the issue. And see if manually transferring the data using the sftp client on TrueNAS produces the same results.

Last edited:

Crekate

Dabbler
Do you mean manually transfer the data using sftp client on TrueNas? I have no ideaa what Reue As is.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, TrueNAS. Sorry about that, either I need more sleep or autocorrect on my phone is seriously acting up today.