SOLVED Cloud credentials - ftp not working for a remote server

capflash

Cadet
I am trying to sync my truenas to a remote FTP server. I had this setup and working in-house to the remote server. I moved the truenas server to a new location and it will not authenticate to the FTP server. I can use Filezilla on a windows 10 machine at the remote location and it authenticates without any issues using the same credentials that the truenas is using.

What can be the problem?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Most likely the remote side router doesn't have a port forward for FTP. Also, are you using active or passive FTP? Most router/firewalls can only deal with passive FTP.

capflash

Cadet
Let me explain again differently.

Server location is in Michigan we will call location A.

Remote location is in Florida we will call location B

Location A
Has FTP server
(When truenas was local to this server FTP worked fine.)

Location B
Has windows 10 using filezilla and can connect to server at location A without issue
Android phone using anyftp can connect to server at location A without any issue
Server in location A is using passive and the credentials are correct in the TrueNas as they use to connect locally.
TrueNas cannot connect and gives the following error.
Error: 2021/11/01 01:24:47 ERROR : ftp://howell.from-Mi.com:21: Error while Dialing howell.from-Mi.com:21: dial tcp 76.204.115.131:21: i/o timeout
2021/11/01 01:24:47 Failed to create file system for "remote:": NewFs: ftpConnection Dial: dial tcp 76.204.115.131:21: i/o timeout

Thanks

Samuel Tai

OK, I think I understand the scenario. How did you set up the FTP sync? Does manually connecting from TrueNAS to the FTP server work?

capflash

Cadet
No, it does not. I think it may have to do something with it trying to use "FTP://" in front of the howell.from-mi.com. The clients I don't believe use the "FTP://" they just use the address.

Samuel Tai

Can you FTP from TrueNAS using just the address of the remote end?

Samuel Tai

I'm still confused as to how you're trying to connect. Are you connecting from the Shell, via command line ftp howell.from-mi.com? Or are you trying to cloud sync via SFTP, and manually entering the :21 port?

capflash

Cadet
Connecting using cloud credentials set to ftp, using ip address (or domain) with username, password, on port 21

Samuel Tai

You still haven't told me whether you tried a manual FTP connection from the Shell of the TrueNAS server. I'm starting to suspect your networking configuration. Do you have a default gateway and subnet mask configured on the TrueNAS server? Do you have DNS servers configured?

capflash

Cadet
no manual connection was tried. I did find the gateway to be the gateway for the Michigan location. I changed that and it now authenticates. I need to run the jobs to see if they work properly.

Thanks for the solution.