[CLOSED] LSI + WD green, no good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondychan

Cadet
Hello guys, I've been using FreeNAS on various machines through the years since version 6 and always found a way to fix any problem, but this time I'm lost and dunno what to do really, so maybe some of you will have experience and maybe help me.

I have mixed 3TB WD red (6pc) + 3TB WD green (4pc) array that I've been using in Supermicro server past few years - connected directly to SATA onboard, all fine and dandy. I'm replacing all the WD greens in the array when they die, I know the green sux but do not want to get rid of them since they still work fine for me.

I have purchased HP server that I would like to transfer my datastore.
In this HP ProLiant DL180 G6 I have LSI LSI MegaRaid SAS 9220-8i (IT mode flashed) connected to the HP backplane with SAS cable, latest FreeNAS 11.1.

uyEqx5v.png

l1mNjsV.png

Now the problem: when I put all my drives into the HP machine, the HBA simply wont boot.
The controller will get stuck at the "initializing" state on startup.

T5miPli.gif

If I pull out WD greens controller boots without a single problem.
Also trying to hot plug the disks into the machine when it is already up and FreeNAS running provides absolutely no console output (the Reds hotplug just fine with regular "destroyed" and "created" device console output).

Has anyone experienced this problem? Google doesnt seem to provide any info on this topic, except for the regular "do not use WD green in raid". I can always change all the greens for brand new reds, but as long as they work I would prefer not to throw them away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a lot of WD Greens and Blues (the new greens ) on various LSI controllers and servers, so there's no general issue.

Most likely some compatibly issue with your server, you can always delete the LSI bios, unless you're booting from it.

mondychan

Cadet
I have a lot of WD Greens and Blues (the new greens ) on various LSI controllers and servers, so there's no general issue.

Most likely some compatibly issue with your server, you can always delete the LSI bios, unless you're booting from it.
thx, for the info, maybe something wrong with the lsi + hp backplane (dunno the exact PN atm) + green hdd? i have sas to sata cable laying somewhere so i can try bypassing the backplane ...

Code:
delete bios?
i know how to flash the LSI controller, but dunno how to disable/remove bios, i do not boot from this array

thx a lot for ur time

edit: nvm.found it :)
4BMWf1C.png

gonna test with the greens later when i have acess to server room

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Nuking the card's BIOS and UEFI extension ROMs is likely to allow your server to boot, with nearly no impact on functionality.

mondychan

Cadet
Nuking the card's BIOS and UEFI extension ROMs is likely to allow your server to boot, with nearly no impact on functionality.
what a bold approach! thx for link! gonna try

i meant delete the bios, not disable it, though you can try that first, if still issues see here to delete it.
heh, havent crossed my mind that its possible to completely erase the bios and yet keep the card working, gonna try this way too if simply disabling it wont help!

thank you both, what a kind community :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Did you actually read the error?

T5miPli.gif

The error is: SAS Address NOT programmed on controller in slot (3)

That is what is causing the problems. You were supposed to program the SAS address back into the board. Writing it down to begin with and programming it back in after is part of the steps of flashing the board.

Look here:

l1mNjsV.png

Your SAS Address is listed as all zeroes. That is not right and not going to work properly. The SAS Address is part of the communications standard is is like having a network card with no MAC address, or no IP address. It isn't just fun and games.

mondychan

Cadet
Did you actually read the error?
Yep, thanksw for the heads up, as long as other drives I tested (mix of WD blues, velociraptors, some scrap seagate I found...) worked fine I simply ignored it.
I have fixed it this morning after posting this thread (just to be sure).

Will try all suggestions and let you all know :)

mondychan

Cadet
so I pulled one green drive into the HP machine,
after deleting the bios from the LSI card the server is able to pass through the initial BIOS checks,

FreeNAS wont boot though, gets stuck on this error :
I3nkhIH.png

rtGZA09.png

i have already fixed the error of no SAS address for the controller, so that should be out of the way

last thing wrong (imo) could be the backplane, it is HP SPS#:507304-001 , PCA P/N:490375-001

mondychan

Cadet
hello, so i ditched the idea of trying to work it out, replaced all the WD Greens with WD Reds, all 12slots of the backplane are populated, everything works as expected

thx for your time, sadly wasnt able to find a way to make it work

cheerz

Status
Not open for further replies.