CLI file manager with access to all datasets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedeaux

Dabbler
I *have* done a preliminary search and come up with only threads where people want GUI file managers.

I am new to FreeNAS(BSD) so I am not clear how to go about this on my new build.

I have a system up and running. I've created several datasets (media, backups, etc.). I am moving things over via 'import disk' but I still need to move things around to different datasets. This is proving confusing and cumbersome with the command-line.

Here's an example of my issue:

1. I copy a mix of files [media files, photos, backups of email, etc.] onto an external drive, 1TB - fill it.
2. I 'import disk' -- everything gets dumped in a folder I have set for this, drive is unmounted after import.
3. I now want to move each type of file from the dump location to it's respective location which is across datasets - how can I do this easily? cp and mv commands from the shell are ok, mv complains about chmod operation not permitted, but the xfer happens nonetheless.

Is it possible to install something along the lines of midnight commander or last file manager? I can't find any clear guidance on how to do this.

danb35

Hall of Famer
No, nothing is to be installed in the base FreeNAS installation. You could create a jail, install mc (or whatever) in the jail, and mount your datasets as storage to that jail.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I would organize it during the copy in Step 1 (I assume that you are using some other workstation machine to do this - Windows, Mac, Linux). That way you already have your folder structure setup and then you can just move the folders to their proper location.

Status
Not open for further replies.